Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all its about time to change my clutch on my 2009 GS manual. Im starting to get a little slip on it; my RPM gets high but still settles back in properly when i ease the gas. I am thinking about doing it myself once i have a free weekend. I paid about $1000 three years ago for the current clutch kit and install but I want to look at other options.

Do y'all have any recomendations for a new reliable kit? My GS is a daily and I'm willing to throw down for an expensive one, but i just want to hear yalls opinions.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,173 Posts
OEM if it's a daily. The more "race" a clutch is, the less it likes being driven on the street.

I run a 6 puck ceramic. It's fine to engage and disengage, springs are 50% stiffer than factory. It's all fine and good, until you look into the materials used. Street driving will turn a ceramic to dust very fast, where as an organic or kevlar will survive for substantially longer in that use. That said, an organic or kevlar would die in minutes of my track abuse.

Match to your driving conditions and power, not to what you think is cool. Cool clutches suck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow i didnt think of that! So for just a daily drive, what material/brand would you consider looking into?

·
Basically Stock
6,173 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Cart !

Hey yall so I got the parts I need, I think. Can y'all confirm if the rear main seal and release bearing are the right ones? I thought they were really cheap and im not even sure if they are of decent quality.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Basically Stock
6,173 Posts
Odd choice to drop the pan and do mains on the engine at the same time, but for just the seals, they're cheap parts. When you get it with the housings they're more. But you can re use yours.

You can also remove that release bearing, there's one in the kit I can see

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh okay I thought that was the pilot bearing included in the clutch kit. the descriptions arnt the best

·
Basically Stock
6,173 Posts
I'm not sure there even is a pilot bearing. I know there wasn't on my most recent one, but that's a machined crank. They may have popped it out first.

I can check my spare engine... It's all OEM, my original popped motor I'm yet to open up after 2 years, lol. It's just sitting on a stand with the other forgotten engines. In either case though, a pilot wasn't needed, but would have made it easier

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay becuase ive checked online and couldn't find one for the 4g, went to NAPA and Oreilly's and they said they dont carry one.

·
Basically Stock
6,173 Posts
Ok... Well where does it go? Theres an input shaft, and output shafts. I don't think there's a lay shaft, being FWD. So what's the main? Main shaft is a term used for the crankshaft, which is in the engine

what you have looks like an engine rear main seal, which sits around the big end of the crankshaft. Not a transmission seal, it's seals the engine to not leak to the bell housing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts