Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and thanks for having me.

I'm originally from TX but I'm an electrician in the Navy stationed in Norfolk VA.

The story of my joining, since I have a 3G, is rather long-winded so I'll try to summarize. I bought my '03 GTS Spyder in April of 2012 with around 85k. I absolutely loved the car but, like a lot of people with the last couple of generations have found there wasn't a lot of aftermarket support beyond intakes, headers, catbacks and suspension. Of course I did all of this anyway, but I wanted more without going forced induction.

Fast forward through the months to a time when I scored a 6G75 non-MIVEC out of an '04 Galant GTS, which I rebuilt, ported and polished the heads, and did a plethora of other little things until I dynoed it last year at 261whp/277lbft. It's making a little more than that now but I don't know how much just yet.

Anyway, last weekend a buddy and I pulled, from our local Pick n Pull, the first '75 MIVEC out of the first 4G they've ever gotten. Cost me $257.

Some guys have done this swap already of course. One was a member here before his unfortunate passing (RIP Silverside), one or two have been done in the 2G stratus, and one or two more are in the works (on top of the few 3G eclipses running around with them). What we're struggling with is controlling the MIVEC solenoids. Turning them on at the right time is not a problem, it's the duty cycle we need to duplicate. Sure, no one has yet to burn a solenoid but I honestly don't think they've been pushed to the point that they might. I won't be doing the swap in the near future since I've only got about 5,000 miles on my current 3.8, but another member on Club3G is about ready to drop his in and will be the guinea pig for the true and final solution to our problem.

I've searched around quite a bit and broke the cardinal rule of PMing a respected member, and am still in the process of finding the waveform I need. In the meantime, it's really neat to have a glimpse into your world.

Soon to follow are pictures once I can get some uploaded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't mind the front wheel gap: there's nothing under the hood in this one!

Dyno sheet with my Galant engine:

MIVEC that'll eventually find its way in there, after some working-over of course:

I have more pics but they're stuck on my photobucket which for some reason only want to copy to my computer near thumbnail size. :sad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WTTC Joey! My buddy too has an 03 GTS. So far he just has basic bolt ons. He wants to go FI, but if your 6g75 swap goes well then he might be more tempted to go that route! Keep us posted! Btw nice color choice :)
Thanks! IMO the '75 swap (whether MIVEC or non-MIVEC) is the way to go. It's fairly inexpensive, reliable, tuneable (we can flash our ECU's pretty easily though not everyone can tune) and everything pretty much bolts up like factory.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts