Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Hard Core 4ger
11,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello and welcome to club4g.org.
Please take 10 - 15 minutes to read this critical thread to help maximize both your experience with this forum and the chances of you becoming an accepted, liked, and respected member of an excellent car forum.

REASON for this thread:
This thread is in response to a recent increase in new members that have either not picked up on forum etiquette, ignored forum rules, asked repeated questions that have been answered many times on here, or over-used the private messaging function while contacting veteran members asking simple, pointless, or repeated questions that have been addressed in public threads.

Please don't misunderstand the intent of this thread or the forum. We are MORE THEN HAPPY to help with any problem a fellow 4g member may be having, and we are always more then happy to offer opinions on mods, aesthetic direction, or a new performance idea that has not been tried.

The main issue comes from newbs asking questions and starting threads that have been discussed time and again - sometimes years ago. The database on this forum is quite extensive, and the search function is very powerful. If you ask about what mod you should start with, how to get more performance, or where to get mods/parts from, you come across as lazy and it is becoming such a problem it is driving away our very best veteran members who have the most to offer. Many have already left, and more are leaving. This is weakening the forum in a manner that is simply unacceptable to those of us who love the community.

There are a few things you definitely need to understand
- First off: ALMOST 99% of anything relating to performance or a part or a modification has already been discussed in exquisite detail, usually in multiple threads. All you need to do is use the search function - type in a few key words and you are usually directed multiple threads containing invaluable discussion on the subject you are seeking knowledge on.

Secondly, PM'ing veteran members with specific questions is not something to be done lightly or out of the blue. Most are usually happy to help, but not when the answer to the question is easy to find on the forum. Please exercise restraint and show intelligence and care when contacting individual members via Private Messaging, especially if you have not developed a relationship with that member, and are contacting them 'out of the blue.'

Thirdly, there are certainly some forum rules, official and unoffical, that you need to be familiar with while interacting on this website. Here is a thread that captures some of them, and you should take the time to read it if you have not done so before:

http://club4g.org/board/new-members-forum/6873-club4g-org-unofficial-rules.html

Note the request for an introduction thread and filling out your profile so the community can get to know you a bit.

Here is a quote from another 'welcoming committee' thread that was posted in the past, with some good information and suggestions about how to get into the forum and get the most out of it:
"Such as good places to start..
-start with your own new members thread
-post up photos of you in members photo thread
-post up photos of your ride in members ride thread
-check out a few websites such as roadraceengineering.com, autocityimports.com, rippmodifications.com, autokitsx.com, etc
-after your done learning from all of the useful threads on here, check out "off topic" and see what were are really about."
(by csho^ on 4/16/2010)

Here is another good thread that recently was posted by one of our veteran members who is highly knowledgeable and respected by all of us - please read this as well to get an idea of the issue I am trying to capture with this thread:

RANT. (New Members Please Read)

and here's an excellent quote from another veteran that deals with proper etiquette:
In order to be accepted onto this website and view the rest of the forum..

You MUST make a thread here in the "New User Introduction" forum introducing yourself.
Just a few things to help move the process a long and help your chances;
1. Name
2. Car you drive
3. Have a picture
4. Do you know anyone thats already registered on the site?
5. Oh and have a picture!!
6. Your location

If you feel the process is taking too long or something went wrong, Please contact one of the Administrators.

You have 30 days from the day you registered to become accepted or your account will be deleted.
=========================================================

Again - please don't take this thread the wrong way, we are all pleased that the 4g seems to be getting more and more popular and are always happy to see new members that come into the community with the proper attitude, display of respect for veterans and the forum rules, and even better - when they can immediately contribute good technical help and modification direction right off the bat. This forum is all about the exchange of knowledge and free speech, but when private messaging is being abused because people are lazy, or similar threads seem to repeat so often that it is driving off our best members, this is a SERIOUS problem for our community and our web-site.

There are several moderators (screen names in yellow) that are always here to help with any issue you may have in regards to the forum, the rules, etiquette, and how any of the functions available to you may work. PLEASE do not hesitate to reach out to us about anything you need assistance with in regards to this online community.

In summary:
1) Introduce yourself (details of this discussed above)
2) Show respect to fellow members and especially the veterans.
3) Show appreciation for those that help you - me personally, I do this because I like the good feeling I get from helping others, and not showing appreciation is a slight that is hard to stomach for most of us.
4) USE THE SEARCH Function. You need to be spending at least 5 - 10 minutes (AT LEAST) looking at what has already been discussed on a given subject (especially a technical/performance/modification related question) BEFORE you make a new/another post about it.
5) Use the Private Messaging function with care - especially if you don't know the member and have no previous relationship with them.
6) If you do get flamed, try not to take it too personally - we have all taken our lumps and sometimes it's best to show some humility and demonstrate corrective action. The forum can be very forgiving, but not to those who are quickly defensive and then abusive in response.
7) If you are new, be careful with criticism or flaming - this is a privilege that is earned only after being a solid and contributing member for at least a few months.

We all love the 4g, and you being here because you love the 4g also already gets you on our good side - but it can be quite easy to slide off of it and get onto the 'newb idiot' list, and I for sure don't want that to happen to anyone who comes here looking for support and 4g brotherhood. We were all newbs once, and we all are more then aware of that - we have all made mistakes and posted stupid shit we'd just assume forget, but repeated ignorance and stupidity is an offense that is not easily overlooked nor forgiven. Thanks for taking the time, and here's our sincere hopes you will heed the warnings and guidance in this thread during your time spent on club4g.org.

Please feel free to post up an introduction here and say hello or offer any suggestions you have for making this thread more informative, lessons learned as newb, etc, but also please do take the time to make an introduction thread. Include pictures. We do love pictures on this site!!

WANT IMPROVED PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE? GOOD PLACE TO START:

Here is a list of some other excellent threads if you are new to modding and looking for direction on how to get the performance of your 4g improved:
SERVICE MANUAL
http://club4g.org/board/eclipse-performance/4564-beginners-guide-modding.html
http://club4g.org/board/eclipse-performance/22217-forum-fyi-upgrades-needed-fully-built-4g-eclipse.html
http://club4g.org/board/4g-eclipse-gt-se-specific/1927-us-6g75-sohc-3-8l-mivec-specs.html
http://club4g.org/board/eclipse-performance/2121-sri-vs-cai-numbers.html
http://club4g.org/board/part-reviews-opinions/16327-energy-suspension-bushings-motor-mounts.html
http://club4g.org/board/suspension/868-how-eibach-pro-kit-spring-install.html
http://club4g.org/board/problem-reports/14282-warning-read-before-purchase-front-anti-sway-bar.html
http://club4g.org/board/tuning-electronics/8715-some-aem-fi-c-vids-might-help.html
http://club4g.org/board/tuning-electronics/12006-how-f-i-c-basics.html
http://club4g.org/board/4g-eclipse-gt-se-specific/6865-my-new-outlaw-intake-spacers.html
http://club4g.org/board/tuning-electronics/6711-finally-ignition-advance-fic-revealed.html

PARTS PARTS PARTS:
Mitsubishi 380 - 6G75 SOHC 24v Vehicle Performance Modification Guide
Auto City Imports : Sport Compact Auto & Import Performance Superstore
Road Race Engineering's 4G Eclipse Parts and Performance
JMAutoracing.com

WHAT IS POSSIBLE? CLICK HERE:
Best of Club4g

BEST OF CLUB 4G:

406 WHP Supercharged GT:

If you don't know who this is...you'd better ask somebody.

Probably over $30K put into this car...AWD, and all kinds of other shit.

========================================================
Existing Members - please post up improvements or other suggestions to help improve this thread, any other links that should be included in the list, or any other critical 'welcome' information/suggestions. This is obviously a problem we need to make some attempt to fix. If there is nothing that can totally fix the problem, then so be it, but at least we can try.

·
2,975 Posts
Awesome thread joey, its got everything in it. Thanks for using a pic of my car lol :p

·
Hard Core 4ger
11,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^Jason I'll get one of yours in there....thought I did....gimmie a second and I'll fix

·
Hard Core 4ger
11,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't make the cut...:sad: I really fit the description of rule 7 in the unofficial thread. Luckily i just stole Ricos Giggle gas
fixed. thought I'd put that one in there from the beginning. there certainly doesn't need to be more then 1 of my car in there anyway. I only had 20 slots and there are so many badass 4gs in this club....sorry to anyone else I missed- I just went though the 'best pic of car' thread and skipped every other page looking for some badass shots to show newbs what they could have if they listen to forum.

·
Hard Core 4ger
11,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thread joey, its got everything in it. Thanks for using a pic of my car lol :p
sure thing Preston. you have one of the sickest looking rides on this bitch, hands down. that slanted exhaust is just too much! so unique and so fucking cool. I don't think ANYONE else has that.....?

·
Hard Core 4ger
11,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Ross, Cesar. thanks for your support guys. let me know if I can improve it in anyway.

·
Hard Core 4ger
11,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh Phil you should be in there bro, you're right....let me fix. Stand by.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Joey this is beautiful I'm no Vet but I can second all of this and I might be doing some reading up myself :D I'd eRep you to infinity for taking the time to do this but the forum gods say I must spread some more rep around before giving you some more .__. I will get to you when I can I promise!

·
2,975 Posts
sure thing Preston. you have one of the sickest looking rides on this bitch, hands down. that slanted exhaust is just too much! so unique and so fucking cool. I don't think ANYONE else has that.....?
Wow joey, thanks a lot. It means a lot coming from you. Just for that i'm gonna come up there one weekend and we can take some pics of our cars. And the exhaust is the HKS axleback, there are a couple of other people with them but thanks for the compliment

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.