Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a question about hid headlights being dim.
I just acquired a 2009 Eclipse GT and the hid's seem dim. 1st step was to replace both headlight bulbs but thru a mixup only 1 hid bulb was replaced. The headlights seem a little brighter, but in general still seem dull/dim. The clear plastic of the headlight housing appears to be in ok condition. Not perfect, but ok. Are the stock hid's, in general, dull compared to newer designs up to the 2019 Outlander Sport hid headlights? Or is there possibly something wrong with the system? I do have an outlander sport with the super-wide hid lowbeams (which are phenominal headlights).

After my initial post I did some further research on club4g and now know that a ballast was included with the replacement bulb. Is it possible that the projector lens is clouded?

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,173 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Over time, HID bulbs dim rather than burn out outright. Running with one new and one old will definitely be dim compared to two proper, as the beams overlap each other in your field of vision.

I doubt they'll ever be quite as bright, as the lighting war keeps continuing. But they shouldn't be dim by any measure. A very common issue is that people don't aim their headlights. After changing bulbs, this must be done, as housing location can shift. When I bought my 4G, the lights only went about 20' in front of me. It was awful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just started the eclipse and the outlander sport and looked at the headlights themselves. The projector lens of the eclipse appears to be fogged. The clear headlight housing also has a little fogginess. Has anyone tried to de-fog a projector lens? Or at this point simply easier to replace?

From left to right:
Outlander Sport HID on wall
2009 Eclipse on same wall with 2 new HID bulbs (looks dimmer and more yellowish in person than appears in photo)
Outlander Sport HID Projector up close
2009 Eclipse HID projector up close

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm going to answer my own question:fever:
Turns out that the driver's side headlight bulb was not seated perfectly, which resulted in poor light output and was basically driving at night with light output from only one headlight (I think the aiming of the passenger side lighting was also adjusted, as the height of the lighting output is better than before, and have the photos from before they were improved.
The headlights are now MUCH better, and while the newer (but now discontinued) super-wide low-beam HID lighting of the Outlander Sport is still better, the Eclipse high-beams are much better than the halogen high-beams of the Outlander Sport. Driving at night in the Eclipse is now just as fun as driving during the day.

I do have to make one additional comment. I just purchased this 12-year old eclipse one month ago and absolutely love it. I have found that I love the "sound" of the car the most when driving continuously at 40mph. The engine and exhaust just purr so wonderfully at that speed staying around 1100 rpm, and with the windows down and sunroof open it is such a fun car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts