Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
08 Spyder GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I just bought a GS Spyder a few weeks ago & remembered this forum from a late friends car (rest easy, Kyle). I'm from TN. Car has no name yet (open to ideas). This makes my 6th DSM (4th Eclipse) in almost 20 years (I know, I'm ancient.) I bought it for a daily while Ford waits on replacement parts for my Roush. I'm a bit of a car addict & tend to hoard them. I have 2 cats who are eager for summer rides in their carriers with the top down.

·
2,297 Posts
Welcome! You got the timing belt and kit changed out yet? Do it!! #1 killer of engines (and the whole car in general) on these interference engines
Some ppl will give u flack for calling a 4G a DSM as technically it was MMNA that built it (Mitsu Motors North America) as they had already split from Chrysler at that point (DSM was the Chrysler-Mitsu partnership); BUT, it was still the same factory in Normal, Illinois (that is now being used by Rivian for electric trucks soon); so I'll let you call it DSM myself lol

·
Registered
08 Spyder GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm at 114k, so it's coming soon. Thankfully, that IS one thing I already was aware of (before 120k, preferably around 115k) as I know a few people with the hardtop cars locally.

Yeah, that's why it's still a DSM to me, as was my 01 Stratus coupe 🤣

I had an accident a few years ago, so I'll have to have someone more mechanical to help with the timing.

No plans for mods, really. I did put 6000k 12000 lumen leds in it within the first week & a friend did a minor spray on my trunk (it's temporary) as it was abused by previous owners ex (she loved her automatic car washes & destroyed the trunk lid to the point it felt like 80grit itself.) May eventually do wheels or a system, but nothing I've decided on yet. I do have a custom banner design I'm working on, though.

·
2,297 Posts
I'm at 114k, so it's coming soon. Thankfully, that IS one thing I already was aware of (before 120k, preferably around 115k) as I know a few people with the hardtop cars locally.

Yeah, that's why it's still a DSM to me, as was my 01 Stratus coupe 🤣

I had an accident a few years ago, so I'll have to have someone more mechanical to help with the timing.

No plans for mods, really. I did put 6000k 12000 lumen leds in it within the first week & a friend did a minor spray on my trunk (it's temporary) as it was abused by previous owners ex (she loved her automatic car washes & destroyed the trunk lid to the point it felt like 80grit itself.) May eventually do wheels or a system, but nothing I've decided on yet. I do have a custom banner design I'm working on, though.
Yeah on top of what Saber said about timing belt age, you’re also wrong about mileage anyway; the spec was 60k miles not 115-120k anyway

·
Registered
08 Spyder GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah on top of what Saber said about timing belt age, you’re also wrong about mileage anyway; the spec was 60k miles not 115-120k anyway
I'm going by what I know was done previously, with what I know needs done soon. No worries.... it was mechanic owned & I know he took care of the car. My knowledge of him personally & the cars history is why I bought this car. He has a box of receipts that he showed me, which I do need to grab next time I'm by there. But he said 115-120, so by that I assume it was he did it

(Edited: removed cats "helping" word that made no sense)

·
2,297 Posts
Ok then he prob did it at 60, if you can believe him is up to you

the problem is that you can never trust what a previous owner says they did lol

·
Registered
08 Spyder GS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah normally I wouldn't. I just know him and his family personally & know how meticulous he has been on upkeep with his vehicles. If I'd bought it off a random, yeah definitely would've already changed it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts