Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came into a deal and was given a FREE 2007 GT V6 in silver. Has all the bells and whistles for this model. Sunroof, power windows/locks RF 6 disk changer, DISC brakes all around. It already has K&N typhoon intake, headers (brand unknown), Magnaflow cat back exhaust, XXR 18" rims.

In the 3 weeks I've had it I've done. New intake filter (K&N), plenum gasket, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, spark plug seals, oil change, inner / outer tie rods, both axle shafts, lower ball joints, New front rotors and calipers, New parking brake cables, headlight bulbs, ripped the interior out, seats out, console out, rear seats out, shampood it all and pit back in.

Next is New rear parking brake shoes, spring kit, polish windshield, new clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, timing belt, water pump, tensioners, lower control arms, shocks and struts.

What advice do you all have for me. Let me have it.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,582 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Two bits of advice. Don't run a K&N oiled filter on a MAF car like this

Put the timing belt way up in priority if it's going to be turned on at all

And less of advice, I'm going to be pulling and selling a 2000 mile (95% highway) clutch and flywheel from one of my GT within a few weeks hopefully (depending on if my turbo rebuild comes back to me in time), as I'm driving that GT right now while my daily is down

·
Registered
23 Posts
what do you guys do for a living? Lol it appears I have enough money to afford to spend on regular maintenance and when parts break (like my window regulator 😂) but other than that nothing else sadly.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT V6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what do you guys do for a living? Lol it appears I have enough money to afford to spend on regular maintenance and when parts break (like my window regulator 😂) but other than that nothing else sadly.
I've been in the military for over 15 years.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,582 Posts
I make money back by doing silly things to cars, and showing what I did and how, to other people who want to then do it by selling the parts to them as well.

A good trick when you want to mod a car is to not care about mileage, and buy the cheapest one. The reality is, why pay for low miles on parts you're replacing anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
why not have a k&n filter on it?
might be dumb of me to ask because my best guess would be that it can suck oil in and burn ur cat. Plus it being the eclipse model engines run hot so ur not really getting cold air, yet I made the mistake with having one in before I thought on it and had no real issue until I cleaned the filter and gave it new oil I was given a service code (forgot the name) and it had to do with my cat overheating Ig, although the code eventually went away after a day then had no problem

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,582 Posts
why not have a k&n filter on it?
might be dumb of me to ask because my best guess would be that it can suck oil in and burn ur cat. Plus it being the eclipse model engines run hot so ur not really getting cold air, yet I made the mistake with having one in before I thought on it and had no real issue until I cleaned the filter and gave it new oil I was given a service code (forgot the name) and it had to do with my cat overheating Ig, although the code eventually went away after a day then had no problem
It has nothing to do with exhaust temps, the engine naturally burns more oil through blowby when it leaves the factory than a K&N filter would ever give. The issue is that oil spray off the filter can collect on the MAF sensor, which is a wire that uses voltage values required to maintain a fixed resistance value based on airflow across it (cooling) to determine how much fuel to add. Oil on that wire can cause hot spots, and burn out the wire, as well as give wrong readings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It has nothing to do with exhaust temps, the engine naturally burns more oil through blowby when it leaves the factory than a K&N filter would ever give. The issue is that oil spray off the filter can collect on the MAF sensor, which is a wire that uses voltage values required to maintain a fixed resistance value based on airflow across it (cooling) to determine how much fuel to add. Oil on that wire can cause hot spots, and burn out the wire, as well as give wrong readings.
So would I be able to just use a different head other than the k&n filter?

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,582 Posts
So would I be able to just use a different head other than the k&n filter?
K&N aren't ALL oiled filters. Just be sure to get a cone filter of the right size (easy) that isn't oiled (easy). You've got a mountain of options. I really like the DC Sports as it uses a velocity stack type design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts