Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

O2 or cats?

I have a question 
6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Slowgt 
#1 ·
Sup guys, new member got the 6 speed v6 06 eclipse. High mileage. My question is whether it’s a common issue for these cars to have 02 sensor problems vs the likelihood that it’s my cars catalytic converter giving me check engine light? If it helps I have felt sudden loss of mpg over the past weeks

#5 ·
The 06 GTs are notorious for killing the cats on the headers because of a wrongly made stock tune that was too rich and fouled the cats, there was a dealer reflash for this, if it was ever done, and there would already be damage to the cats before the reflash anyway

#6 ·
Yea I went to the mechanic and it’s the cat in bank 2. I live in Cali so I can’t say f’ it and get headers... Looking like a 1.3k cost atm. Might have to let her go and it saddens me cuz she’s perfect, I got her for 1.7k and was planning to restore her. Unless anyone here wanna sell me used cat I will probably have to get rid of her

#7 · (Edited)
Hey bro I’m in Cali. I have one rear cat for a GT that’s good. I sold the front but if the rear is the one you need then PM me!!

Also, if the code is what is bothering you, then maybe try putting an L shaped o2 sensor spacer spacer on it. The bottom sensor reads the cat and the top sensor reads the o2 for the car. Spacers go on the bottom to make it seem like the sensor is reading cleaner air, thus the car runs better. Unless of course the cat is already clogged.

#12 · (Edited)
Junkyards aren’t allowed to sell cats. At least LKQ won’t. They always cut them off or some shit. Ruins the sensors all the time too. What you could try to do is go on offer up or Facebook marketplace and see if anyone is parting an eclipse out that has a cat. Cheap and effective, but for how long no one knows. Yeah you can get one off of any Eclipse 2006 - 2012. I only have the rear left but I’ll keep an eye out if there are any around me in So cal.

Also, apparently the 04-12 galant ralliart and the 04-12 endeavor (both with 3.8 v6 6g75 Mivec engines) have the same front manifold so that can help widen your search for part outs. You might be able to use the front cats off of one of those cars with the non-mivec engine, but I’d rather be safe than sorry and make sure to get one off of another mivec 6G75

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.