Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay to make this clear I know it will be hard I know it will be expensive and I know some people think it's a waste of money what not. So... now that that's out of the way I want to make my 2007 eclipse gs an AWD with a 4G63t engine transmission and ecu... the work I want the style of the 4g with the dsm power and prestige. So let's start with me having the engine all the components and tranny and ecu what not. I've torn everything out of the engine bay what do I do first

·
2,510 Posts
Don’t know if you know, but our 4G69 short block (without head) is a bored and stroked Evo 4G63 anyway (with slightly more of an open deck, but still plenty beefy)

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,058 Posts
The 69 head flows higher, and the block has better PCV. I'm not sure why you'd want a 63.

Anyways. Engine step 1: put in a 63 from an evo 8. Old Eclipse ones are a no go. Evo ones drop in.

As for trans, use an evo 8+ trans. It's also a drop in. You'll need an endeavor rear end, BC Racing extreme low coilovers, custom driveshaft (or custom rear dif mount), evo rear dif, evo T case, possibly custom axles (or possibly evo or endeavor, I can't recall right now).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a 4g63 billet block and im looking for aluminum head right now so I just use the transmission from an Evo 8+ with that I also plan on doing all wheel drive a d im gonna be using the r34 awd tech so I can have the turning capability of the r34 with the rear turning wheels any advice on that

·
TheSlow4g
2007 GS SE Turbo (In Progress)
124 Posts
As someone who is doing a turbo awd build.. I'd say unless you have lots and lots of time and money, then it's not worth it. I'm already around 3k deep into just the turbo kit, and it's not even finished. Let alone sourcing a rear subframe, trans, suspension, etc. There's a reason there's only a few guys that have successfully done it. I was stupid enough to try it so I'm not in a position to talk you out of it, but you should know it's a lot more than what it seems even with a lot of the parts being bolt on.

·
Basically Stock
6,058 Posts
If he's in as far a billet block, a WRX isn't going to be for him. It doesn't sound like cost of parts is an issue at all, nor the work. So you may as well have the aero advantages of the 4G and not the high rear end lift of a sedan (which can be converted to drag with a spoiler, without raising the cD, but still is an awful shape for high speed).

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the rear end of an R34, couldn't even say if it's passive like a 3000GT rear wheel steer or electronic. But, take however it runs factory, and carry over as much stuff as you can. You've got quite a project on the go.

What's the purpose of the build? Sounds quite competition focussed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If he's in as far a billet block, a WRX isn't going to be for him. It doesn't sound like cost of parts is an issue at all, nor the work. So you may as well have the aero advantages of the 4G and not the high rear end lift of a sedan (which can be converted to drag with a spoiler, without raising the cD, but still is an awful shape for high speed).

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the rear end of an R34, couldn't even say if it's passive like a 3000GT rear wheel steer or electronic. But, take however it runs factory, and carry over as much stuff as you can. You've got quite a project on the go.

What's the purpose of the build? Sounds quite competition focussed.
I have most the part already and the r34 skyline was able to take turns so fast and while acceleration because the rear wheels turned slight with the front tires. It is a hell of a project just trying to figure out the approach to the r34 drive train and making it work with the 4g63 so any ideas are welcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont need suggestions on another car what I should do or getting another car because I'm already over 20 grand in and this is what I want I want dsm engineering and the prestige it come with with the handling of the skyline looks of the 4g eclipse I want it to be a bad ass daily driver so I'm only aiming for 8 or 900 hp might have overdone it by getting 2 born warner twin flange turbos I've already redid the engine bay and am modifying it to fit all the extra stuff and now the ecu from my old 3000gt vr4 is in and the wires are running good into the cabin for the controls light guages etcetera and im installing the switch for the exhaust control from the vr4 so I can regulate the sound so I dont get pulled over or my windows don't explode every time I start the car im doing that right now it will be right next to the window controls and the second toggle switch is gonna be for the hydraulic based independent air lift suspension system. First got the ones from k sport that were bellow based but then realized I would have to heavily modify where the suspension sits because the bellows expanding would cause them to rub and damage so I had to buy a new one because by the time I realized it ( because I ordered all the parts without doing my homework first and the it was made to order or whatever so I have both. Once I finish this I'm gonna be installing the pillar gauges in for the boost line oil pressure and the tire pressure and that's easier said than done

·
Basically Stock
6,058 Posts
Twins was definitely a bad move. You didn't look into how guys do 800-900hp on a 4G63 first, did you.

If going Borg, a single EFR92## would get you there. 91## is tight, but can with aggressive cams that will probably make it spool so late it's of no advantage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have most the part already and the r34 skyline was able to take turns so fast and while acceleration because the rear wheels turned slight with the front tires. It is a hell of a project just trying to figure out the approach to the r34 drive train and making it work with the 4g63 so any ideas are welcome
Its not competition just something I want to do I love these weird projects

·
2,510 Posts
I’m starting to see the problem with these cars being so old and cheap at this point even though they aren’t really all that abundant; people pick these things up cheap and rather than trying to just get it up and running and solve issues and enjoy it for what it is, they decide to come up with something crazy lol

·
Basically Stock
6,058 Posts
I see no issue there!! We've never had so many V8 or turbo 4G. The platform is solid and good to build from, just the driveline is what you'd want to change. Stock is fine, but when you go and turn it into something totally new and unique, it's great. I love seeing the wild builds, and like when people encourage them. Yes it means more 4G will get ruined. But you don't save your girlfriend for the next guy either. Build it for yourself, screw resale.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Kinda in the same boat here. I've liked the styling of the 4Gs since I saw the 1st one and ... since Mitsu never offered it as a turbo or an AWD sure dudn mean it can't or shouldn't be done!

'Sides, where's the fun in doin the same cookie cutter build someone else has already done? I say use your imagination and build what you want, the way you want it, after all, whose car is it anyway?

Like one of my old machinery mechanic mentors used to say "Impossible, there's no such thing as impossible, improbable maybe, but nothin's impossible. The impossible just takes more time and money!".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts