Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2008 Eclipse GT and the original battery finally died. Its been about 5 years 1 month since I owned the car. I am the original owner and bought the car new. I think that pretty good for the life of the original battery. Anybody still running there original battery and how long did it last before it died? Also it seems like a big pain in the butt to change it out. I'm taking my car to advance auto parts. If you buy the battery there free installation...

·
Just here for the lights
598 Posts
I have a 2008 GT too. It still has the original battery and it's been starting up fine in 20 degree weather. I still need/will change it when I do my 60K :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
November 2008 sounds like you got a defective battery. Hope the dealer didn't try to charge you for a new one.
Haha no I mean November 2013. I have a 2008 GS

·
Registered
161 Posts
For those with 4+ year old wet cell batteries, you may want to open the caps and top them off with distilled/deioned water if they're low. They'll last even longer. These are not maintenance free batteries. Once the plates start getting exposed to air, they start oxidizing like crazy and you're battery won't live too long.

·
Registered
334 Posts
fixing a broken 2008 eclipse

recently a friend of mine bought a 08 gs with 42k miles. this car will have a slow start up. takes a extra second to turn on. battery/alternator/starter have been tested. the only thing that comes to my mind is fuel pump maybe? it does make a clicking sound before starting the car but it does not make a clicking sounds after a second start when the car been fully warmed and driven. my car does the same thing when i start the car after filling gas i don't hear the clicking noise but besides the fuel pump i have no idea what it could be.

·
The "Touring" Eclipse
1,698 Posts
Yeah my battery is OEM from 08 also, and still cranks, but I know for sure it's starting to go bad, as last time it was in service they guy suggested it would need replacing soon.

considering a light weight battery, but not sure if there are small enough ones that have the CA we need

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I have my original from 2010, every now and then I clean the terminals to make sure they're corrosion and dust free

·
Registered
161 Posts
i have a pretty good multi meter. what do I need to look at to see "life" or can i?
What you need to truly determine battery life is a load tester. It's nothing more then a fancy heater mesh with a voltage gauge. It creates a decent amp draw that causes a simultaneous voltage drop which it tells you how well your battery is at turning over your cars starter. If your car cranks over nice and fast with your key, you likely have a good battery and need not worry. If it starts to get sluggish and seems like it's working its arse off to turn your engine over, then it can be the battery coming to the end of its life, or your starter getting old and beginning to pull excessive amperage from burnt up windings and needs replacing.

Under normal circumstances, on an average wet-cell car battery that was properly and fully charged the day prior, you can test voltage with a multi-meter and "roughly" see 12.6-12.8vdc on a good/new battery sitting on a bench. Or you'll see 12.4-12.5vdc on a battery that's getting a little older on a bench... But those numbers are just numbers and can't tell you exactly how may amps that battery is capable of dishing out without a load tester.

You can still have a 12.4v battery slam out over 600cranking amps under load, while also having a battery of 12.7v go instantly down to 200amps under load.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mitsubishi Lovers :)

My 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS is having trouble starting right now....I think due to battery corrosion. My battery is the factory original battery (86 group, 630 CCA) .... my positive terminal gets super corroded and causes my girl to not start. If I clean terminals and battery, she starts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts