Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The P0102 code is the MAF circuit low input code. For me it threw a check engine light and the car wouldn't stay running unless I gave it gas. Ran super rough otherwise. The TCL light also comes on. I'm guessing anytime the car is running bad the TCL light probably comes on, because the 4G traction control is basically ECU driven and if the car isn't running right, then the ECU can't fix your traction issues. So don't get too concerned when the TCL light goes on, your real issue might be something else.

Back to the P0102 code. After checking all the intake hoses for cracks or loose clamps, I decided to replace the MAF with one from the parts store. It fixed the issue. To help the next person decide if this is truly the issue, get an OBD II reader. You can get one for $15 from Amazon that bluetooths to your Android phone or Apple. You should really already own one if you are a car guy and you are reading this. Once you hook that up and get an free app like "Torque" you can read the real time readings of your ECU. With the bad MAF I was getting 17.6 g/s from my MAF at 476 rpm. (car was almost dying) Once I put in the new MAF, at 1000 rpm, I was getting 5.8 g/s (grams per second)

So, if you have an OBD II reader you can read what MAF reading are going to your ECU. If at 1000 RPMs, you are a lot higher or lower than 5.8 g/s, its time for a new MAF.

This was from a 2008 Eclipse GT. Not sure if the 4 cyl. would be different, but they have the same MAF.

Hope this can help someone in the future,

-Curt

Attachments

·
2,161 Posts
Good diagnosis, just like a real mechanic if not better, good job!

Wish more people did proper diagnosis like this rather than throwing parts on blind

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good diagnosis, just like a real mechanic if not better, good job!

Wish more people did proper diagnosis like this rather than throwing parts on blind
Even though I had the P0102 code, I wasn't entirely convinced a new MAF would fix it. But I'm hoping that if the next person who gets this code also takes the next step and log what the grams per second reading is with the logger. And if that value is reading high or low, then they can feel confident that the MAF is the issue.

-Curt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts