Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! So I just received an error code of p0335 in which prompted a check engine light and abs, and traction off light? I didn't want to start after a couple of attempts but then worked soon after. The code is for crankshaft position sensor A circuit so my question is where is the crankshaft position sensor located at so i can replace it? There's no videos or diagrams I can find on it so any tips or visuals on where it is would be a big help

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,789 Posts
The sensor is down by the crankshaft reluctor ring. You need to pull the serpentine belts, and lower timing covers to access it. For a GS the plug is on the front of the engine, passenger side. It's part of the timing cover. For the GT, a wire comes out of the timing cover to the harness with the plug on it.

Be aware, it also throws a crank code when your timing slips. If your timing belt maintenance isn't up to date, be extra cautious of this. Check your timing marks, and do not drive if the belt has slipped. It can go from a simple timing job needed to a full engine replacement in one instance of trying to start the car, or one time hitting the gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sensor is down by the crankshaft reluctor ring. You need to pull the serpentine belts, and lower timing covers to access it. For a GS the plug is on the front of the engine, passenger side. It's part of the timing cover. For the GT, a wire comes out of the timing cover to the harness with the plug on it.

Be aware, it also throws a crank code when your timing slips. If your timing belt maintenance isn't up to date, be extra cautious of this. Check your timing marks, and do not drive if the belt has slipped. It can go from a simple timing job needed to a full engine replacement in one instance of trying to start the car, or one time hitting the gas.
Ok thanks I'll take a look around for that! I changed the timing belt and water pump at 120000 miles and currently is at 174000. Do you think the belt is the issue? The car starts and all but it is very hesitant on the acceleration and I have all kinds of lights and codes on the dash.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,789 Posts
If you replaced the tensioners and everything was set right, it should still have another 50k miles in the setup with a premium kit, or ~10k miles with a cheaper one. So that SHOULDN'T be it, but still can be. If it's a GS, if the balance shaft belt wasn't changed (many shops don't do it by default) it can snap then ruin the timing belt as well.

Trouble is, slipped timing will give a ton of codes from misfires to crank position to lean/rich. But so can a bad crank sensor. Slipped timing will never give air at the right time, however. And if it slipped y 1 tooth, odds are it will slip again soon. Even pulling your upper timing cover(s) should give you an indication to go by of belt health if nothing else

Crank sensors don't tend to die suddenly however. They usually will have a long lead up of difficult start ups before you run into major issues. This is looking very timing related.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you replaced the tensioners and everything was set right, it should still have another 50k miles in the setup with a premium kit, or ~10k miles with a cheaper one. So that SHOULDN'T be it, but still can be. If it's a GS, if the balance shaft belt wasn't changed (many shops don't do it by default) it can snap then ruin the timing belt as well.

Trouble is, slipped timing will give a ton of codes from misfires to crank position to lean/rich. But so can a bad crank sensor. Slipped timing will never give air at the right time, however. And if it slipped y 1 tooth, odds are it will slip again soon. Even pulling your upper timing cover(s) should give you an indication to go by of belt health if nothing else

Crank sensors don't tend to die suddenly however. They usually will have a long lead up of difficult start ups before you run into major issues. This is looking very timing related.
More Information for GATES TCKWP340

So this is what my mechanic friend installed when I got this for my GS. I'll let him look at all that since he is the one who replaced it last time. It's been running just fine till now so hopefully it's nothing major 🤞

1 - 6 of 6 Posts