Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Steve_06_Ark 
#1 ·
Hey fellas, just got my car back after having some work done do it. (Injen CAI, RRE Headers, Energy motor mounts, ebiach pro kit lowering springs and magnaflow catback exhaust)

The shop told me they had to delete the pipe connecting the RRE manifold to the EGR as it would not line up.

My EGR is still in place however I am now getting the P0401 code, is this something to worry about? Or am I just gonna burn more gas now?

Thank you

#2 ·
I'm concerned about how they did it.

If they blocked everything off properly, yes, it's just gonna add pumping losses at idle and low throttle. Since you have headers and don't have cat codes, I'd imagine you already have a tune. Talk to Michael or Alex, whoever did yours, about tuning out the EGR.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with them having deleted my EGR without me asking, or having cut up my parts to install them wrong

#6 · (Edited)
I do not have a tune, but the car is not throwing any cat codes at all, prior to having the work done it was throwing P0421 now its not.

To be clear the EGR is still in the car, its just the pipe connecting the header/manifold to the EGR that they deleted. Everything is blocked off properly and the shop is very well known for building GTR's and doing tons of engine swaps around the city. I live in Nova Scotia.

The car runs amazing and has no issues at idle.

They said the extender that came with the RRE headers would not line up to connect the EGR to the header.

Thanks.

#4 ·
Compared to the illegal modification he DID ask for?

You'd be best talking to them first. They may have felt they were doing him a favour by putting themselves at risk to do so.

It would quickly come back to "what part was the customer wanting installed", and then the shop could say catless exhaust headers because he wanted to take it off the road and use it as a track car only. So, removing emissions stuff is ok, because he was going to take the plates off. So, it turns into a big mess and flips right back to the owner. Then the issue at hand becomes "why did he drive the car on the roads knowing he had illegal emissions controls", which would clear the shop of any emissions maladies. So it would be down to the car being taken off the road, and then a customer dispute over what work was agreed to or not.

It wouldn't take a lawyer for the shop to win in that dispute, and it would be a dick move to even try that at this point, as well as stupid to try making an emissions related argument when you were asking to have emissions modifications done

#11 ·
Yeah, I got the same code when I deleted the EGR pipe. As it turn out the ECU has to see some flow through the EGR if not it throws the code. So put the pipe back or eliminate the ERG check removed from the ECU.

I'm rebuilding my 6G75 now and I hate that pipe. I'm going to try and add a mini air flter on the engine port. I'll let you know the results.

#18 ·
I was just surprised they said the RRE header didn't match up. Those guys make very good headers and I won't say it was 'easy' but it did eventually hook up without modifying anything (other than keeping the heat shields off since they don't match up to the new headers). I suppose it's possible you got a bad RRE product, but I'd be very surprised.
Now, having said that, my cat back hanger absolutely didn't match up and we ended up cutting and weilding it to get it even close to centered on the tip of the exhaust with the rear cutout on my Razzi kit. That was an RRE kit, but I imagine the problem was with my Razzi, it would probably have been fine with a stock bumper.
RRE would probably offer to replace it if they didn't cut it up to install it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.