Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
UPDATE

I ran Cataclean through it and the Check Engine light went off. And it stayed off for a couple weeks. Bravo.
But now it's back on.

Is Cataclean (or similar product) safe to use every tank? It seems to have improved it, but maybe I need to run it through several times. Thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think I saw a post on here that it makes the car run hotter. I could be wrong. I'd be inclined to say no.
No - meaning don't run it through every tank? Or would every few tanks be ok?

p.s. UPDATE: Still the same after running one bottle of Cataclean. Check Engine light off stays off mostly, but comes on after driving highway in hot weather for an hour or more. Then it turns off a day or two later.

·
Registered
2008 Eclipse GT
202 Posts
No - meaning don't run it through every tank? Or would every few tanks be ok?

p.s. UPDATE: Still the same after running one bottle of Cataclean. Check Engine light off stays off mostly, but comes on after driving highway in hot weather for an hour or more. Then it turns off a day or two later.
I wouldn't run it every tank. Mine was the same. I'd clear the light and just bimbling around town it would be fine. Longer trips would trigger it to come on, though mine would stay on. I finally caved and got the headers as I wanted to do some longer road trips with my car this summer and was worried I'd damage the engine with the bad cats. I don't regret it, despite the cost. Car sounds amazing and pulls harder, even though it hasn't got a tune. Cataclean in my opinion is just patch. I've seen forums say you can use it every 3000 miles (4828 km), so roughly 4 times a year. If the cats are done, at some point you'll have to change them out, either with the headers or new catted manifolds. For me it was a no-brainer as new catted manifolds would've been over two grand just to buy. The headers with installation came to $1400. Plus, we don't do etesting any longer here in Ontario, and I have no plans to ever sell this car.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts