Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Photobucket has been an issue for a LONG time now with them not allowing images to show up unless you have a membership with them. We found a fix for it in the past, but currently, they've changed things ONCE AGAIN to make them SUPER blurry.

Admin, this post is specifically for you or anybody able to allow access. I am willing to go through a TON of great tutorial posts and EDIT them to download the image and upload through imgur, forum image uploader, google drive, dropbox, literally ANY other website that allows for images to be uploaded and viewed in a normal way. I understand this will be a HUGE undertaking, but for the sake of saving images and tutorials about our cars, I am will to help. This might take multiple people multiple weeks or months to finish, and we will never be able to actually finish the entire project, but I am will to start working on this if the admin allows for it.

·
Administrator
180 Posts
I'm afraid we can't do that. While it's one thing for the owners of the images to reupload them and request we edit the threads, for us to do it would en-mass for all pictures would be, in essence, our taking content from PB without permission and re-uploading them so we can circumvent a paywall. We looked into this sort of an option when they started their jerking around with pics, but were told we aren't allowed to

Kevin

·
Basically Stock
5,677 Posts
That's not what the photobucket terms of use say. The rights to the images are held by the person who uploaded them. And by then sharing them here, it shows that the owners wishes are for the content to be available here.

Also included;
By making your Content public, you are also giving all other Site users the right to copy, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and create derivative works from it via the Site, third party websites or applications (for example, via services allowing Subscribers to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content, and via social media websites), provided such use is not for a commercial purpose.
While this is third party, the images are not being uploaded for commercial purposes, and could be considered derivative works

Source:
https://photobucket.com/terms

·
Super Moderator
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the false information Admin, thanks for clearing it up Sabertooth. Unfortunately being a moderator does not give you the option to edit OTHER users posts, unless you're a super admin. That's alright, I have another solution I am currently looking into that does not involve these forums.

·
Administrator
180 Posts
It is the difference between sharing/republishing and going in and scraping a photobucket account and affilated Database. Since Photobucket paywalls the photos shared outward as is the reason we're in this situation we cannot go in and extract all of your pictures to upload them to our own servers. That is not republishing with consent, that is data extraction. That is why we are blocked from doing so. PB's terms are also vague with regards to the fact that they still have that paywall.

Kyle

·
Basically Stock
5,677 Posts
The owner of the account retains the rights from their TOS. By making them public not private, it shows them as wishing to share them publically, and I feel is them consenting for their images to be available to be taken for external use. If the external use happens to be re-uploading elsewhere, and photobucket wants to stop that, then they need to claim ownership of all content placed on their servers and should offer some form of compensation to users, or ability to download them en mass, or remove them before that's brought into effect.

I see no actual grounds aside from the wishes of the rep you spoke to that would prevent it.

A paywall in front of content they don't own, by their own admission, seems like extortion and highly unethical. There was no financial contract, just an admition that they don't own the user content

·
Administrator
180 Posts
The owner of the account retains the rights from their TOS. By making them public not private, it shows them as wishing to share them publically, and I feel is them consenting for their images to be available to be taken for external use. If the external use happens to be re-uploading elsewhere, and photobucket wants to stop that, then they need to claim ownership of all content placed on their servers and should offer some form of compensation to users, or ability to download them en mass, or remove them before that's brought into effect.

I see no actual grounds aside from the wishes of the rep you spoke to that would prevent it.

A paywall in front of content they don't own, by their own admission, seems like extortion and highly unethical. There was no financial contract, just an admition that they don't own the user content
My statement was in accordance with our legal department, just just a photobucket rep. That being said I will gladly bring your interpretation up to them to revisit.

Kyle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts