Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Catback is in, and it's loud af.

exhaust clip @ 4k rpm

To anyone thinking of purchasing or installing this exhaust, keep in mind that it may not fit. Piping is too long and won't clear. Had to take a hacksaw to it and cut out a 1.5" section before the muffler meets the mid-pipe. Not a big deal, but a nuisance just the same.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Catback is in, and it's loud af.

exhaust clip @ 4k rpm

To anyone thinking of purchasing or installing this exhaust, keep in mind that it may not fit. Piping is too long and won't clear. Had to take a hacksaw to it and cut out a 1.5" section before the muffler meets the mid-pipe. Not a big deal, but a nuisance just the same.

Looks great man, Sounds even better. What else do you have planned?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Looks great man, Sounds even better. What else do you have planned?
Thanks. Quite a bit in fact. I've got some stuff lying around that needs to go on/in (MT-90 tranny oil, Zmotorsports rear brace, Conti tires and ES mounts/bushings). I'm also thinking of cutting off the high flow 3rd cat on the Injen and replacing it with another resonator. The exhaust is loud, doesn't go well with the stealth look I'm going for. I just need to find a guy that's good with stainless. After that, going for a 94 octane tune and that should about cover it for the power stuff. Over the winter I may send in my TB and IM for porting, but that isn't for awhile.

Coilovers are also on the list, but I want to take care of the little things before tackling big projects like that

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks Tim.

Hey I've been meaning to ask you, your TB spacer/gasket, are they a custom job or off the shelf? Also, are they specifically to mate a GT TB to a GS IM, or can it work for a purely GT application? I'd like to snag a set and do the bypass since it wouldn't take much to do and I'll be putting away the car next winter.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
The TB spacer was made custom by a member who I haven't seen active on here in quite awhile: kingdarin8484.

I know fabguy also made some spacers that look to be similar in material/quality.

They're for either the GT or GS. Our TB to IM size difference is very small.
Bummer. I guess I'll PM Fabguy and see what he's got.

Got another audio clip, this time from inside the car

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Lol, it's a complimentary figure of speech

It's very loud for my taste. The videos don't do it justice. It doesn't sound bad, but too loud. Taking it to 2.5k rpm sounds like I'm trying to lay down some 11s or instigate a race, so I have to be very careful and short shift religiously in city driving.

I'm seriously looking into welding in one of these to make it a little more livable

·
Registered
326 Posts
Lol, it's a complimentary figure of speech

It's very loud for my taste. The videos don't do it justice. It doesn't sound bad, but too loud. Taking it to 2.5k rpm sounds like I'm trying to lay down some 11s or instigate a race, so I have to be very careful and short shift religiously in city driving.
Lol i know.

Yeah videos never can. Its hard to imagine that 2.5k rpm would be that loud. I have an exhaust cut out before my resonator and 2.5k isnt even that loud. Are you still thinking of trying to lower the sound?
*i should wait untill you finish editing everything to respond*

I looked at that site and I think that would be great. I just wonder how it would sound with your current setup.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Yes. I was thinking of buying an entirely new piece of stainless piping, chopping it up, welding in the glasspack and having both setups (resonator and straight pipe) interchangeable. One for daily use, the other for having a screamer on a track day or something.

Still in the research phase however

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
To anyone running a Tanabe STB (possibly other brands too) on a GT, it'll fit just fine over the stock bar. Saw it on Fabguy's build thread and tried it for myself

EDIT: Cusco bar has a circular plate that bolts onto the towers which probably won't work with the stock STB. Credit to Desert Rat for pointing that out

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hey Martino, can you sell me on the thought of how well do the braces work? How much of a stiffness increase do you feel when turning your car?

ps. good job on the upgrades! keep it up

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Hey Martino, can you sell me on the thought of how well do the braces work? How much of a stiffness increase do you feel when turning your car?

ps. good job on the upgrades! keep it up
I'm still on winter rubber in freezing conditions, so I haven't pushed the car through any hard corners yet. When the time comes I'll definitely share my thoughts on it.

I can tell you that the installation was tricky. It requires all the plastic trunk lining to be removed (expect to break a tab or two doing it) and unbolting the seatback clips. Unfortunately, there's a plastic shroud partially covering the bolts which makes it a pain (absolutely need a 10mm box wrench, impossible to use a ratchet). Mounting the bar itself is another feat due to the difficulty in lining up the bolts and tightening them down while holding the bar. I'd recommend installing one plate alone first, then getting someone to help by holding the bar or lining up the bolts/torquing them down. Once it's in, it's another hassle to adjust the new seatback clips and get all the lining to go in right (as the clearances with the new bar are tighter).

It took my old man and I about 2 hours to do the work. For the price, it's worth the effort imo, and Rob is a really nice guy who's easy to work with. Buy it with the door pull brackets and he'll give you a deal.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts