Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I have a 08 2.4L with 97000 miles on it. I have codes po171, 174, and p2197 (I assume 2179 is there because of the other codes because my 02s are all brand new) popping up. What could be causing these? Btw if this helps when I was around 4K rpms this morning I could hear what sounded like a sucking sound from the motor and a grindin noise when letting off and hitting the brakes. Problem just started last week and some of the symptoms are sometimes she uses more gas than normal, reduced power after she warms up, rough idle, the sound from the engine that sounds like whooshing or sucking air, and that grind noise after letting off the gas at high rpms. I didn’t start hearin the grind noise until those codes popped up though.

·
2,510 Posts
Does it have a CAI?

p2179 is not a valid code, u mean p2197?

Cylinder 2, 3 heated oxygen sensor (front) inactive

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it have a CAI?

p2179 is not a valid code, u mean p2197?

Cylinder 2, 3 heated oxygen sensor (front) inactive
Wait you said code 2197 means 02 sensor not working so in theory if I have an inactive 02 sensor then that could make my car run lean and trigger the other two codes I have. That’s just strange though because all my 02s are new but I guess it isn’t odd to have faulty new parts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wait you said code 2197 means 02 sensor not working so in theory if I have an inactive 02 sensor then that could make my car run lean and trigger the other two codes I have. That’s just strange though because all my 02s are new but I guess it isn’t odd to have faulty new parts.
Like pcfreak4 asked, what sensors did you get? (All 4 have different part numbers)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So does anyone know why when I check my trans fluid sometimes it shows high, sometimes low? Runs fine. Just has a slightly rough shift here and there.

·
2,510 Posts
So does anyone know why when I check my trans fluid sometimes it shows high, sometimes low? Runs fine. Just has a slightly rough shift here and there.
Auto or manual?
Auto check procedure is to get trans to temp (176F), run trans through all gears including reverse, put it in P or N with car on level surface, engine still running, check dipstick and make sure it's showing top of hot area on dipstick, adjust

Cold check is to just make sure you have enough to even drive the car safely without blowing the trans

Checking it with the engine off will give an artificially high reading as the trans oil pump won't be running, if you have a dry dipstick showing with the engine off then definitely do not drive the car or even start it until you top up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Auto or manual?
Auto check procedure is to get trans to temp (176F), run trans through all gears including reverse, put it in P or N with car on level surface, engine still running, check dipstick and make sure it's showing top of hot area on dipstick, adjust

Cold check is to just make sure you have enough to even drive the car safely without blowing the trans

Checking it with the engine off will give an artificially high reading as the trans oil pump won't be running, if you have a dry dipstick showing with the engine off then definitely do not drive the car or even start it until you top up!
It’s an automatic. Sometimes it shows at the bottom of full and sometimes it shows a little over the top of full

1 - 20 of 21 Posts