Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...my first post and I know I am a noob and I promise I just spent 30 minutes searching the whole forum. :D
So...I notice some power loss when the A/C compressor is running. Always been that way. I know that on all cars the compressor will run even when the A/C is off when the selector is in defrost mode...air directed toward the windshield. I really think my compressor is cycling all the time. Even if the selector is off and no the A/C is not lit up. Everything can be off and still I get the cycling. Drives me nuts like when I am taking off from a stop in 1st gear or shifted up to 2nd gear and everything is smooth and then that damn compressor kicks off and the car almost lurches forward. At that point my foot is where it was...no additional gas applied. I've had the car a year now and I've always noticed a difference in power when the A/C compressor cycles on and off and that is exactly what it feels like. I have the GT with the V6 and I have read where a lot of you have said that even taking out the A/C doesn't give much more power. so what is going on? Why does my A/C rob me of power? Is my compressor on its way out? Why the hell is it cycling off and on even when I have the temp at 85 trying to get heat and the air selector is pointed at the floor vents?

Thanks for reading
Michael

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,384 Posts
I can't tell you if or why your AC clutch is engaging randomly, but I can tell you that at wide open throttle runs, the AC takes no power away even when turned on because it disconnects.

The reason we feel the difference is because driving through town or on the highway holding our speed, we may only need around 30hp or so, so that's all the engine is making at the throttle level used to hold your speed. If the AC takes 5hp away in resistance and parasitic losses from the rotational mass then you'll feel it because 5hp added on to 30hp is a 17% increase

When it's warmer out, you could turn your dial to hold without turning on the AC. If it blows cold and not just ambient air temperature, then you'll know it's always running.

Also, people remove the AC system because it weighs about 40lbs. The power gain is insignificant from removing the small unloaded pulley

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup 4500 sounds right so yeah if I am waiting until then to upshift it can happen. Makes sense. And true, on the highway no, I don't hardly feel any difference in power. Cruising along the interstate at 80 (yes we have 80mph speed limits around here) in 6th gear my rpm is around 2800. If I downshift to pass or something and the rpms go up then I can tell when the compressor kicks off. I will do the test when it warms up here. I will have to get the a/c fixed (again) first. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It depends on the year and model of the car. For the most part, it's based on the accelerator position. (This screenshot was from a 2006 GT)

-Michael

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts