Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem replacing my clutch fluid. I followed the Shop Manual instructions and I can't seem to get the new fluid to go into the Master Clutch Cylinder. The manual says, open the bleeding screw, hold the clutch pedal down, close the bleeding screw, release the clutch pedal and then open the bleeding screw. (I used a bleeding kit) I did this over 20 times and still no pedal. What am I doing wrong, or is my Clutch Master Cylinder broken?

·
Basically Stock
5,855 Posts
Pump the clutch a bunch of times with the screw shut

Press the clutch down

Open the screw

Close the screw

Repeat

A vacuum bleeder is probably your absolute best option. I'm not kidding when I say it'll take more than 50 pumps to get that to work otherwise.

Something cheap like this would go a long way

https://www.amazon.com/Bleeder-Vacu...keywords=vacuum+bleeder&qid=1578877297&sr=8-5

See if a local parts store does tool loans, they may be able to lend you one for free

·
Long time Eclipse Owner
32 Posts
I had a similar problem, tracked it down to some 'dirt' getting into the throw out. Replaced the throw out bearing and all was well. Hope that's not your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I did use a vacuum bleeder and it still could not get the new fluid into the clutch master cylinder. So after I open the bleeding screw, hold the clutch pedal down, close the bleeding screw, release the clutch pedal and open the bleeding screw, I noticed that the fluid in the bottle gets sucked into the line. Is that what's its suppose to do? I thought it should be the opposite like all other hydraulic lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts