Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am no NOOB to forums so......... ON with my questions.

I have a customers 06 GT in my shop and I need some help in figuring out his problem.He came to me with a couple symptoms. #1 - The car wont go past 4k rpm. #2- The exhaust is making a funny noise. The first thing I noticed is he has a SES light on, the TCL light on and the TCl indication light on as well. I scanned the car and came up with a Bad MAF. But I started with the basics first. Got the car on the lift and noticed that the flex join was leaking. I cut the old one out and welded in a new one. If got rid of the Noise but nothing else, obviously. So now onto the 4k rev limiter he is hitting. I noticed he does have an intake on the car, a Fujita, not sure if that makes a difference. So What would cause the traction light to come on if the car has no Tranny codes? He said that someone told him it could be his 02 sensors or his cats. I checked his temps on the cats, they are reading 300-350 pre and post on the cat.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark-OEM

·
Registered
438 Posts
many things triger the tcl light to turn on with the swirvy car light, this is caused mainly by the map sensor

·
2,975 Posts
If it has just rained the filter might be wet and causing the 4k rev limiter. This happened to me a couple of times after heavy rain. It didn't damage anything, it just had the 4k rev limiter. Just had to wait for it to dry then everything was back to normal.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
what about the coolant,is it low ? because in these cars,if there is not enough antifreeze in it.the ecu wont let you pass 5k rpms.i know you said 4,but i'd check that too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can check the coolant, but it did not have a low coolant light on, and temp was good. Now you say MAP sensor, are you sure not the MAF sensor? When I disconnect the MAF when the car is running not at all happens, NOTHING.

I will PM BrianJ, Thanks guys for the quick responses. Very helpful compared to most forums.

Mark-OEM

·
Theta II
8,583 Posts
I can check the coolant, but it did not have a low coolant light on, and temp was good. Now you say MAP sensor, are you sure not the MAF sensor? When I disconnect the MAF when the car is running not at all happens, NOTHING.

I will PM BrianJ, Thanks guys for the quick responses. Very helpful compared to most forums.

Mark-OEM
We do have a MAP and MAF Sensor as far as that being the source I am not sure. I do know our MAF sensor's are very senistive, and finnicky however. If he has a Intake installed, our all the MAF wire's not being used capped like they are suppose to be? Is his MAF dirty? Yes Cats and 02's sensor's have been the most common trigger found on this site.

Also it is an 06 there was a recall for an ECU reflash from Mitsubishi. It had to do with this exact issue. Do you know if that has been done to this vehicle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hell i give this guy props for looking for outside source help
Who ME? I just don't like to waste time. I know every car has their certain little secretes :).

It does look like one of the pins is not inserted all the way. So I am assuming that when I disconnect the MAF or if its not even working it going to the MAP to get its readings. I guess I need to narrow it down, a MAF, MAP or a 02.

Mark-OEM

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Ok, first of all...the tcl lights will come on for MANY codes...basically, anything that affects the fuel injection strategy, or the tcl controls will trigger it. That's Alot of different codes.

Second, exactly what codes did you pull?

Third, the car is operating in what they call "safe mode", that's why it won't rev past 4-5k

I'd fix that terminal first, then clear the codes, then start it and see where you're at...

Brian

·
"Uncle" Clayton
6,504 Posts

Mark-OEM
Ok first were not usually that helpful lol.
Second if the code was for MAF trouble why didnt you quote the guy a new MAF and move on?
Third the TCL, skidding car light like brian said is an indicatior for any airflow or injection issuse from a leaky gasket to a cooked MAF or even random misfires. Also how is the idle, steady? or choppy? cause if its rough again id look at that MAF. Like DSE said our MAFs are like women on their period look at them wrong and the get all bitchy with you, my advise is he beat the MAF up or got the MAF dirty while installing the CAI and it shit the bed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also it is an 06 there was a recall for an ECU reflash from Mitsubishi. It had to do with this exact issue. Do you know if that has been done to this vehicle?

Woah wait we have an 06 ECU reflash recall? I didn't know this and I'm also getting TCL and the anti skid light. What specifically does this recall do? Can I still get it for free from the dealer?? Maybe this will fix my problem!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Woah wait we have an 06 ECU reflash recall? I didn't know this and I'm also getting TCL and the anti skid light. What specifically does this recall do? Can I still get it for free from the dealer?? Maybe this will fix my problem!!
The only "reflash" recall for the 06 was because the ECU was burning up cats cause it was running the cars so rich...I don't remember this having anything to do with any TCL light...just the catylist efficiency codes...

·
Registered
906 Posts
the car is on sage mode! i know this sounds silly but reset the ecu. after check the intake, it has to be the intake, because this has happen to me manny times! something must be loose! the MAF is probably reading to much air thats why its on safe mode!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, first of all...the tcl lights will come on for MANY codes...basically, anything that affects the fuel injection strategy, or the tcl controls will trigger it. That's Alot of different codes.

Second, exactly what codes did you pull?

Third, the car is operating in what they call "safe mode", that's why it won't rev past 4-5k

I'd fix that terminal first, then clear the codes, then start it and see where you're at...

Brian
I figured it was in Safe Mode, and I kind of figured that the car was just throwing up all the lights just to protect the car when something is not right. I did play with the pin and it did not help any. I ddi quote the customer and he is bringing the car back, I am just going through the paces before I start buying parts and still have a problem. Like I said all cars have there tweaks and secrets about them.

The Idle is weird. When you first start the car it will drop low-300-500 then bounce back up to 700-800 and its steady. It could just be the motor I am unsure. It never stalls on start up and its not missing on any cylinders.

I pulled two codes, the first time I scanned the car I got a MAF code. Checked the MAF and cleared the codes, then scanned it again and got a IAT code. So something screwy is going on I think.

My question is, with a stock motor and only this type of intake could it be the MAF reading to much?

Also how to I reset the ECU? Pull the battery or is there a run procedure?

Mark-OEM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok first were not usually that helpful lol.
Second if the code was for MAF trouble why didnt you quote the guy a new MAF and move on?
Third the TCL, skidding car light like brian said is an indicatior for any airflow or injection issuse from a leaky gasket to a cooked MAF or even random misfires. Also how is the idle, steady? or choppy? cause if its rough again id look at that MAF. Like DSE said our MAFs are like women on their period look at them wrong and the get all bitchy with you, my advise is he beat the MAF up or got the MAF dirty while installing the CAI and it shit the bed.

I am right there with ya. I will let you guys know what I find on Wednesday when I get it back. For now I will order a MAF and IAT.

Mark

·
Theta II
8,583 Posts
The only "reflash" recall for the 06 was because the ECU was burning up cats cause it was running the cars so rich...I don't remember this having anything to do with any TCL light...just the catylist efficiency codes...
I thought those codes would trip the TCL Light?

·
The dick of JUSTICE
3,088 Posts
I figured it was in Safe Mode, and I kind of figured that the car was just throwing up all the lights just to protect the car when something is not right. I did play with the pin and it did not help any. I ddi quote the customer and he is bringing the car back, I am just going through the paces before I start buying parts and still have a problem. Like I said all cars have there tweaks and secrets about them.

The Idle is weird. When you first start the car it will drop low-300-500 then bounce back up to 700-800 and its steady. It could just be the motor I am unsure. It never stalls on start up and its not missing on any cylinders.

I pulled two codes, the first time I scanned the car I got a MAF code. Checked the MAF and cleared the codes, then scanned it again and got a IAT code. So something screwy is going on I think.

My question is, with a stock motor and only this type of intake could it be the MAF reading to much?

Also how to I reset the ECU? Pull the battery or is there a run procedure?

Mark-OEM
Isn't the IAT sensor built into the MAF?

Sounds like swapping out the whole MAF unit will fix your problems just like that. Especially if unplugging it while the vehicle is running does nothing.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I thought those codes would trip the TCL Light?
Nope.

Isn't the IAT sensor built into the MAF?

Sounds like swapping out the whole MAF unit will fix your problems just like that. Especially if unplugging it while the vehicle is running does nothing.

Possibly, however...it might not be the sensor at all...the first thing that should be checked is the input voltage to the MAF assembly...if there's a problem with the reference voltage a new sensor won't help...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts