Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Club4G Admin
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Quaife Differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly, and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel

In drag-race style, straight-line acceleration runs, this results in a close to ideal 50/50 power split to both drive wheels, resulting in essentially twice the grip of an ordinary differential (they don't call open diffs "peglegs" for nothing).

In cornering, while accelerating out of a turn, the Quaife biases power to the outside wheel, reducing inside-wheel spin. This allows the driver to begin accelerating earlier, exiting the corner at a higher speed.

The Quaife also controls loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces such as ice and snow or mud, providing the appropriate biased traction needed to overcome these adverse conditions. The Quaife Differential provides constant and infinitely variable drive. Power is transferred automatically without the use of normal friction pads or plates seen in other limited-slip designs.

The Quaife's unique design offers maximum traction, improves handling and steering, and puts the power where it is needed most. A definite advantage whether on the track or on the street.

The Quaife is extremely strong and durable and since the Quaife is gear operated, it has no plates or clutches that can wear out and need costly replacement.

The Quaife is great for street driving or racing. Racers don't have to put up with locking mechanisms or spools that created unwanted understeer under power, or in the case of front-drive cars, even tear the steering wheel out of their hands when cornering. Because it behaves like an open differential during ordinary driving, street drivers will have trouble telling it's there until pushing the car's limits.

The Quaife has been proven in everything from SCCA Rally to Formula 1. It provides autocrossers with such an advantage, it has become "required" equipment for a winning effort.

More and more auto manufacturers are specifying the Quaife ATB Differential as original equipment in their high performance models - for good reason - it works!

The Quaife ATB Differential comes with something else other's don't have:
a Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty applies even when raced!

Available through the following vendors

V6 6G75 3.8L:
Tearstone Performance

I4 4G69 2.4L:
Tearstone Performance

·
What Drives You?
9,397 Posts
I'll have to vouch for this being perhaps the best kind of transmission upgrade you can get. Especially if you're planning for massive HP upgrades (FI, N/A engine build), a Quaife diff does more than just provide a more beefed up differential. I have this upgrade on the 3G, and am lined up to get this on the 4G soon.

If you put the car up on a lift, an attempt to turn one tire will cause the other to turn as well. That's how you know the axles are "locked", as opposed to the open diff setup provided by the OE differential. When you take the corners, however, power is distributed proportinally among both wheels, depending on how much traction each wheel is getting. Every bit of HP is utilized as efficiently, while reducing unnecessary spin on either wheel (commonly referred to as wheel slip / loss of traction on turns).

That, paired with Quaife's lifetime warranty, makes this perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade you can ever get for your transmission. ...Not that I've had the Quaife fail on me yet ;)

·
What Drives You?
9,397 Posts
Niiice :) That'll definitely be a good (partial) solution to your tq steer ;)

·
Club4G Admin
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to Quaife, we sold the first customer Quaife this past week to Manny with the GT here in Orlando. Very exciting!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i heard the quaife differential is not made for Auto transmission. My question is will it ever be made for the Auto?

·
Registered
141 Posts
There is no devolopment yet and no future plans for the GT Auto tranny Quaife. Sales of the GT 6 speed are pretty dismal compared to other diffs that they make and potentially can make.

Mike W

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
No, thus the discussion above.

Huge deal breaker for me on ever getting to FI my car, probably wont happen without a diff.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to that as well... something I need to start looking into.

·
Registered
62 Posts
only with quaife differential would my auto Spider have a chance with the 08 Vette, 6.0L, stock 423hp on 1st roll-on :p

·
a=dv/dt
5,606 Posts
what is the speedo gear and bearing add on? what will do this do and should i get it when i make this purchase?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you are talking about a GS:

You need bearings for it to turn and mount in place. You need the speedo drive gear if you want the speedometer to work.

The bearings are needed if you dont trust your mechanic to sucessfully take the factory bearings off the original diff and transfer them over to the new diff all in one piece. I can do it but I have done a zillion of them. Safest is to just buy new ones.

The speedo drive gear is cut into the stock diff. If you dont buy it and install it you will not have a working speedometer.

If GT

Your mechanic walks on water he _might_ be able to get the factory bearings off the stock diff. I did one sucessfully once and it took like 2 hours and was not pretty. Buy new ones. He will spend so much time chasing little ball bearings from the shift hubs all over the shop dont make him suffer with those bearings too.

GT does not need a speedo drive gear. The stock speedo drive gear easily transfers over from the stock diff.

Mike W

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
does the 4cyl version (GS) one work on an auto, on their site it does not say it is limited to manuals like it does for the GT one, however it doesn't say that it does work for auto. I am planning a turbo project and and something like this would be essential really.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
and incase it is not out, I would definitely recommend releasing one for the GS Auto, as for the increasing amount of turbo projects, this is quite important.. specially as the GS has no traction control.. I know it isn't the same, but the LSD won't only make up for the lack of traction control but it reduces Torque Steer. If I have understood it correctly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts