Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm getting a clutch (FX100) and steel flywheel put in on a stock Eclipse GT (ish). Figured it might be a good time to get a differential installed since I'm having a shop work on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUIN...083219&hash=item4da7b1f2d7:g:JvoAAOSwaZdeVCR9

Does anyone think this will be legit? It says a rusted Quaife for $469 on ebay, seems a bit too good to be true. Has anyone bought from Autotech_Sport_Tuning?

Haha anyone wanna sell me their old Quaife?? Other prices I saw were 975$ at RRE but I don't see what model that is.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I got mine for $450 from some guy off of the Facebook marketplace. So that price isn’t out of the ordinary especially since that one isn’t necessarily “new”. It’s going to go into your trans and mix with the fluid so I think it would be best to be safe and get that rust off. Always better to install a new part clean than dirty and hope for the best.

A guy just did the install recently. I ran into the problem where I couldn’t get the gear work off of the stock differential and onto the new one. Apparently, he used a bearing remover tool and it was an easy off and on. He also gave a link to the tear stone manual. If you look at the tuning section of the forums and click on the need hackish tune ASAP forum that I made, at the bottom you can see we briefly discuss it and the guide is there as well.

·
Basically Stock
5,675 Posts
For a rusty one, that's not too good to be true. For a brand new one off a store shelf, it would be the deal of the century.

Be sure to clean all the surface rust, and then also do an oil change after running it for a while, as more rust will no doubt still come out of it. It's best to run non rusted trans oil for sure.

Also, I think you're gonna like that clutch. I have an FX350, and it's still plenty tame for street use. If you plan to beat on it like the LSD suggests though, maybe go a couple steps up to the FX200. It's kevlar, not organic. It won't smoke near as easily, and will outlast the organic significantly in normal use, and even more so in performance use. Kevlar can be even nicer to drive than organic

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a rusty one, that's not too good to be true. For a brand new one off a store shelf, it would be the deal of the century.

Be sure to clean all the surface rust, and then also do an oil change after running it for a while, as more rust will no doubt still come out of it. It's best to run non rusted trans oil for sure.

Also, I think you're gonna like that clutch. I have an FX350, and it's still plenty tame for street use. If you plan to beat on it like the LSD suggests though, maybe go a couple steps up to the FX200. It's kevlar, not organic. It won't smoke near as easily, and will outlast the organic significantly in normal use, and even more so in performance use. Kevlar can be even nicer to drive than organic
Yeah I'll probably wait on the LSD then...

I wanted the FX200!! Autocity only had the FX100 in stock so that's why I got it but hopefully it will do for my purposes. Just want to be able to daily my car some more during these times. Thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well I contacted ActionClutch and they're going to do right by their word and they're going to send me my CORRECT PRESSURE PLATE AND HYDRAULIC SLAVE CYLINDER. I can’t wait to rock them, I think I’m going to be the 1st if not one of the first to rock them, everyone seems to run ClutchMasters or SPEC

·
Basically Stock
5,675 Posts
Their power ratings are pretty terrible. I hope the 550hp figure they show on their iron clutch isn't a typical figure. You can get that with a good quality full face kevlar, which would engage much nicer, and not chew up flywheels.

The reason people typically go Spec, Clutch masters or ACT is that those brands are well proven. You honestly do get what you pay for when you get a good clutch. The one in my daily is rated for 450tq at the wheels on the AWD setup, and drives smoother and lighter than stock. Yet I can dump it and do AWD burnouts without worry as well. The question just always becomes "are you going to use it", so if the answer is no, you don't need to pay extra for fancy high clamping clutches that last less time than OEM, or even more for ones that last like OEM and hold better, and can handle heat

·
Registered
93 Posts
There Stage 5/6 are rated for 550whp and 475tq and there Ironman is 600whp and 520tq. Mines which is the Stage 3 is rated for 350whp and 275tq I highly doubt my car will make 275tq with FBOs and tune but I could be wrong. And aren’t our cars meant to be know to make more WHP than TQ? Someone correct me if I’m wrong? ����

·
Registered
93 Posts
Part # for that bearing removal tool is MD998917 heads up you need that tool to remove the bearings and there another tool to install the bearings but we just just a 7.5 ton shop press and that worked fine if not better, just know you will need to get creative if you use the press, as we had to play around with different angles and metal plates for about 2-3 hours. But after that it’s all easy.

·
Basically Stock
5,675 Posts
275tq out of a 6 puck is incredibly low. The stock clutch holds that. The FX100 is rated for 70% over stock, so will be at least 467tq, and that's a full face organic clutch that'll feel like stock. That's their stage 1. The FX400 is clutch masters first 6 puck, and is rated 170% over stock. That's at least 742tq, pretending the stock GT clutch is 275 maximum.

That's why I find their ratings low. A similar 6 puck from South Bend is also rated to do 700tq.

So you have 275tq, vs 700-740, and they'll engage the same too. Or, you can have a clutch that drives like stock, but holds 460tq. Then you don't need to dump the clutch every shift either like you're supposed to with ceramic (wears out super fast if you slip it)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the FX100 and thing drives like a champ! Feels so good to get a new clutch in here. Just gotta break it in before putting it to the test :)

take care guys and just adding an FX100 on a stock 3.8L will do you better than OEM in my opinion. It was also the same price the shop quoted me for OEM.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Don’t buy anything off eBay. It’s most likely a knock of and you’ll be tearing the tranny apart again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts