Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  tcsoccer09 
#1 ·
Alright men (or boys, or women, or whoever is reading), I have a question that I hope can get answered quickly.

I'm looking at Catback Exhaust systems for my 2006 Eclipse GS (2.4 4cyl) and a thought popped in my head. Instead of buying a brand new exhaust system, couldn't I buy a top brand (Magnaflow, Flowmaster, etc) Catalytic Converter and Muffler, and fit them with the stock piping? Or would i have to replace ALL the piping?

I have come to understand that our stock exhaust system ("our" meaning the GSers on this forum) is very restrictive due to meeting EPA standards. Is it our piping thats restrictive or everything; including the CC, Muffler, and Resonator.

So my main question comes to this: would it be more cost efficient and time-saving to purchase the aftermarket Catalytic Converter and Muffler and delete the resonator and leave my stock piping, OR just say **** it and buy the full exhaust system.

Thanks for your time!

#4 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I really appreciate it. Any opinions on Cats that I should look into? I keep coming back to the universal ones available at AutoZone. The brands that really interest me are Flowmaster and Magnaflow thus far. I see that a bunch of guys have Magnaflows, but none have a Flowmaster.. It seems to be able to fit, though.

The dimensions for our piping is 2.25, right? Or somewhere around there?

#6 ·
magnaflow sux period. Good quality but when put in pretty much any import and euro vehicle it just cant maintain tone and dampen rasp at mid to high rpm's

best I ever heard on a gs is borla and that's mine :). I also had a custom Vishnu setup which sounded great as well

#9 ·
So I've already got an update. Found a flowmaster cat that fits. Would post the link but I guess I can't, so I'll give you guys the part number: 2821124

Found it cheaper at O'Reilly Auto Parts for 70 bucks! I already have a Thrush Super Turbo muffler on the car and I don't know how I feel about buying a new one from flowmaster for about $80. Whaddya guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.