Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

I know we already have the other thread, but here's a step-by-step "how to" with lots of pics, for those of you who want to fix your rear view mirror/lights on your own. : )

Thanks to member TheMonkeyHouse for sending in his mirror for repair. :yahoo:

1st, get a small flat tip screwdriver that will fit into the little square slot, and push it up to release the clip from windshield.
See here.

While holding the mirror with your other hand, pull it up to release it from the windshield.

Unplug the mirror (push down on the tab and pull.)

now you have the mirror out...

take that small flat tip screwdriver and pop out the light bulb covers by putting the screwdriver in these spots for it.

like this,gently lifting it up.

now its out.

same thing with other side AND pull the light bulbs out.

next, gently separate the plastic housing holding the mirror in place.
Its just glued together, and its plastic, so gently pull it apart here, then the other side.(DO NOT yank it open. you could damage your buttons/mirror)

slowly open it and it should look look like this.

set the back housing aside.

pull the mirror out of the front housing.
Its just sitting there, itll come right out.

now we have the mirror out, BE CAREFULL of these 2 wires.
DO NOT disconnect them or break them. ( there the leads for the "auto dim" feature. NO NEED to mess with them. Were going to just flip the board over.)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
this is the front of the part we want to re-solder. Where your wires plug into.

the glue holding the circuit board to the mirror is REALLY strong, so get a heat gun and slowly and CAREFULLY heat up the curcuit board, NOT TOO HOT, just enough to loosen the glue.

Start to separate the circuit board from the mirror.
Be carefull of the bottom side of the circuit board, the pins stick out there.
(I used plastic ply tools.)

I found it easier and faster/safer to pull the board and mirror apart and slowly/gently slice the foam down the middle with a razor blade, being very carefull of the curcuit board.
Here it is apart.

clean off all the foam/tape and inspect board.

Look at pins 1,2,3,4,5,6 & 7.

Notice there cracked from the board and black/burnt.
(you can see the color diff in the shade of the pic, the solder on the pins should be shiny like all other solder spots)

see obvious cracks on pins 7,6,5, & 1...

get some new solder, a solder sucker, or de-solder wire, and heat up your solder iron.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
more angles of the bad solder spots.

de-solder and re-solder pins 1-7 with good fresh solder.
(I set the mirror up on a piece of foam with foam around it in case it tried to fall over.)

Fresh new shiny solder on pins 1-7.

heres the old solder I sucked out with the solder sucker.

you can almost see the difference in solder... on the left is new fresh solder, on the right is the old stuff from the mirror. ( left =shiny -- right =dull)

now clean mirror and get all old foam off, get new foam the same thickness and install.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
new foam installed.

lay a piece of double sided tape down to help hold the board in place..
(its not really going anywhere, its just so it dosent vibrate/rattle around)

stick board down.

check your metal prongs for your light bulbs, if there slighlty bent, bend them straight again.

now everything with the board/mirror is done, we want to get all our pieces back out and get ready to glue it back together with some super glue.

you want to do small spots of glue along the back houseing. like how it was done by the factory.
DO NOT do a full ring around it of glue, itll be really hard to open it if you ever need to again and be a mess.)

set mirror into front plastic housing, and glue back housing and firmly press them together. ( holding it long enough to dry/cure)

when its dry, insert light bulbs and light bulb covers.

now go back out to your car and plug it back in to test.

It Works!! = D

slide it back on your windshield and you should be good to go!

Hope it helps everyone. = D

Feel free to ask questions or anything.

I have a roll of the foam if anyone needs it, or if you want me to do it for you, PM me; )

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So on the solder will that also fix the green lights ?
Great Question!

Im sorry, I dont know the deff answer on the dimmer...
(I never use mine and the one in this "how to" seemed fine.)

but...

green light = "auto dimmer" you could have other issues, broken tabs on edge of mirror/burnt out resistors/capasitors on the board...etc... this is mainly for the lights...but it wont hurt to try, wanna send it to me and we'll see/answer this question? Id almost bet money..notice all other solder is good/shiny on everything else...notice the prongs are for BATT,NEG, OS, OS,door, and INT..etc... Id bet one (OS) is power for your dimmer...=green light... or the NEG/GROUND is affecting your dimmer...if you leave your dimer button ON all the time, Im sure it would effect it if your + and - terminals were cracked/burnt out...you NEED good - and +...)

What are your issues?

Can you see your dimmer liquid? Is it on/off?
Is it bubbly?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Thanks for the info and if I get time to look at it Il def keep it in mind. Shoot I e got both my dim and my other lights dont work either, I do think Ive got a electrical issue going on even before any mods always had those mewest issue is cruise not showing sometimes but will allow it sometimes, funny buttons or something possibly. A good daily driving car but when theres a problem sometimes things make no sense haha

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info and if I get time to look at it Il def keep it in mind. Shoot I e got both my dim and my other lights dont work either, I do think Ive got a electrical issue going on even before any mods always had those mewest issue is cruise not showing sometimes but will allow it sometimes, funny buttons or something possibly. A good daily driving car but when theres a problem sometimes things make no sense haha
Bump, cause I edited my post as you posted. Please read my reply again for more info.: )

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have my top dome light that sometimes comes on when I try turning the mirror lights on, also have my mirror light hardly ever actually work without toggling the back, and the dim never worked saw one green light for awhile but now nothing. Recently the cruise wasnt coming on but il have to keep check and see if it works on my next run on the road. But thats probably unrelated to the problems of the past

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought i put some .s in there but guess not
Most likely this is your issue.

Prob, unrelated to your dome light, but possibly cause of this + and - issue if your dome /rear view mirrors are causeing an issue as well.

sorry for the ......'s : ) . I use it so I can easily go back and add info/insight/more descriptive words if needed...............................they mean I can explain more if you need. = )

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
BUMP - for another member looking for this.

(I'll still do it for you if you want to send it to me.)

I also have a ton of the sticky foam if anyone needs it and wants to fix their mirror on their own. hit me up. : )

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep mine had a freaking hole on pin 14 in one of the solder joints, fixed all the solder today, will test out sometime this week
Thanks for the right up

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hey Colten

Hows the mirror holding up?
(want me to send you a new piece of the sticky foam?)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts