Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to flush and refill my transmission oil in the spring. I've got 123k kilometers on the original fluid, hoping it can smooth out my (at times) notchy shifting. Are there any high rated brands/products besides OEM, and how much do I need to buy to fill?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've heard that both Redline and Amsoil work well. Personally, I'm a Royal Purple Max Gear man, but for no real reason, other than that I used it in the past and my transmission didn't explode or anything. Mobil 1 also makes a 75W90 gear oil, and their motor oils are top notch.

I would say that it doesn't matter, but when I was going to change mine (still haven't gotten around to it on the Eclipse) I found this thread that has a bunch of dudes bickering over GL-3 vs. GL-5 oil.

So I'd be wary of generic/store brand GL-5 lube, as it may be bad for our synchros. It's probably fine, but as with insurance, tires, and condoms, I think it's better to spend a little more for peace of mind.

Both the Redline and the RP specifically state that they will NOT harm any soft metal components, unlike some GL-5 oils. The Amsoil and Mobil 1 don't make such a claim.

So when I do change mine, I'm gonna go with Redline or Royal Purple.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard great things about MT-90, and less than stellar things on RP (Amsoil is a whole new beast). Will look into it further.

Also, are there any filters like on an auto tranny or at least a magnetic drain plug? If not, where can I get the latter?

·
Registered
288 Posts
@Jim

I wouldn't suggest 75w-90 royal purple. It may be a coincidence, but my tranny started to grind very quickly after that
Good to know! I used in an old T5 in a Firebird many moons ago, but if the Eclipse doesn't like it, I'll stay away from it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Capacity is 4.6 pints. So you have to buy three quarts instead of just two.

·
Contributing Member!
2,220 Posts
Those are not it. The drain plug is located under the driver side CV axle, I believe it is a 24mm bolt. The filler plug is located a little lower on the front of the tranny, just under your slave cylinder in your picture, it is also a 24mm bolt.

After you drain the old fluid, fill the tranny with new fluid until it is level with the filler plug.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Those are not it. The drain plug is located under the driver side CV axle, I believe it is a 24mm bolt. The filler plug is located a little lower on the front of the tranny, just under your slave cylinder in your picture, it is also a 24mm bolt.

After you drain the old fluid, fill the tranny with new fluid until it is level with the filler plug.
You rock, Trevor!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone, I just got my eclipse 6 speed super happy with it the previous owner told me to change out the tranny oil. I'm in Mexico I can't get redline tranny fluid but, I do have Lucas synthetic oil 75w-90 is this a good alternative thanks for your input I really appreciate it. This is the best I could find with GL4 characteristics.

·
2,301 Posts
Hi Everyone, I just got my eclipse 6 speed super happy with it the previous owner told me to change out the tranny oil. I'm in Mexico I can't get redline tranny fluid but, I do have Lucas synthetic oil 75w-90 is this a good alternative thanks for your input I really appreciate it. This is the best I could find with GL4 characteristics.
Hey buddy, this post is a few years old and we already saw your other post; yes that fluid will be fine
You can step up to a GL5 fluid, the specs are all backwards compatible of the older standards

·
What Drives You?
9,405 Posts
I'd stick to Diaqueen, if you can't get Redline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts