Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,309 Posts
If they're clogged, your lines are rusted inside. If they're rusted inside, you probably skipped some brake fluid changes over the years. DOT3 lasts about 5-8 years. DOT4 about 2-5. DOT5.1 about 1-2. The higher heat rating ones are more prone to absorbing water. It varies so much because there is no standard, but those are averages I came up with when researching it like crazy this winter lol. For example, the DOT3 in my car is also a DOT5.1. They called it "super DOT3", but by composition and heat rating, it's a 5.1. If not changed on time, lines rot from the inside.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they're clogged, your lines are rusted inside. If they're rusted inside, you probably skipped some brake fluid changes over the years. DOT3 lasts about 5-8 years. DOT4 about 2-5. DOT5.1 about 1-2. The higher heat rating ones are more prone to absorbing water. It varies so much because there is no standard, but those are averages I came up with when researching it like crazy this winter lol. For example, the DOT3 in my car is also a DOT5.1. They called it "super DOT3", but by composition and heat rating, it's a 5.1. If not changed on time, lines rot from the inside.
Thanks for the info. What are the chances of just one brake line clogging? Should I just replace the one that I think is clogged? The thing is, I'm able to bleed the caliper, it's just, when I do the 2 man bleed, and my partner closes the bleeder screw, I'm not able to press on the pedal right away. I have to wait at least a second or two after he closes it, otherwise the pedal is soft and the brakes seem like they're not engaged? Does this sound like a clogged line? Or more like an ABS module problem?

·
2,815 Posts
Thanks for the info. What are the chances of just one brake line clogging? Should I just replace the one that I think is clogged? The thing is, I'm able to bleed the caliper, it's just, when I do the 2 man bleed, and my partner closes the bleeder screw, I'm not able to press on the pedal right away. I have to wait at least a second or two after he closes it, otherwise the pedal is soft and the brakes seem like they're not engaged? Does this sound like a clogged line? Or more like an ABS module problem?
How old is the brake fluid in the car?

Did u ever get the 2015 brake recall done? Did they replace the module?

What year is your car?

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,309 Posts
Sounds like an ABS valve issue. A plugged line, fluid doesn't flow. An ABS valve floating, the pedal will drop. And that's a problem so prevalent there was a recall

The fluid change isn't gonna fix it, thats just to make people feel better and prevent corrosion from decade old fluid getting worse. But it sounds like the damage is done on yours from not being maintaned

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How old is the brake fluid in the car?

Did u ever get the 2015 brake recall done? Did they replace the module?

What year is your car?
I just recently flushed out all the brake fluid and even got a new master cylinder and bench bled it. Made just there were no bubbles before putting it in and the pedal is still soft. I checked the recall on my VIN and it says I don't have one and no haven't replaced the module.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like an ABS valve issue. A plugged line, fluid doesn't flow. An ABS valve floating, the pedal will drop. And that's a problem so prevalent there was a recall

The fluid change isn't gonna fix it, thats just to make people feel better and prevent corrosion from decade old fluid getting worse. But it sounds like the damage is done on yours from not being maintaned
I kinda had a feeling it was the ABS module. Everything on my brake system has been changed except for the rear calipers, which are still functioning, and the brake booster, which is also working correctly. Yeah honestly I kind of neglected changing out the brake fluid for a while. Big mistake. Unfortunately I don't have a recall on my VIN.

·
F.N.G.
110 Posts
I've got a set of front steel braided lines I don't need, if you are going to replace them. Hit me up if you're interested. I don't remember what I paid for them, but I just replaced all 4 of mine with stoptech lines, so I don't need these. If you tell me you want them, I'll dig em up and confirm they are front not rear (I'm about 90% sure).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a set of front steel braided lines I don't need, if you are going to replace them. Hit me up if you're interested. I don't remember what I paid for them, but I just replaced all 4 of mine with stoptech lines, so I don't need these. If you tell me you want them, I'll dig em up and confirm they are front not rear (I'm about 90% sure).
Thanks brotha appreciate it, but I think the problem is an ABS module valve getting stuck. I emailed Mitsubishi asking if I could be put on the recall list. Hopefully they say yes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have an 08 and had to slam on the brakes on the highway due to an accident in front of me . After that I had no resistance on the pedal and had to pump it a few times to stop . Had the shop look at it and sure enough it was the ABS module . They called Mitsu on my behalf and they said the car was eligible for recall but had to be taken to where the car originated for it to be done . I'm in Canada and have a lengthy criminal record not to mention the border being closed so that wasn't an option ! I emailed head office instead of my local dealership and within 5 minutes I had a reply and was booked in the next day free of charge . They replaced the module and flushed everything , took 3 hours and they cleaned my car inside and out 🙂

·
Registered
132 Posts
My car was imported from California to Canada , sorry left that part out . Said as long as the part was available they'd do it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts