Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased the surtrack cv axles for automatic transmission? I did an when I got them I was already iffy about installing them because the factory axles are double the weight of the surtrack axles but I went ahead an installed them an now feel some heavy vibration, I only drove around the block because of the vibration an the difference in weight. So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has had success with them, an if the vibration goes away after they've been broken in.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
I purchased the SURTRACK / TRAKMOTIVE MI8186 from Rock Auto back on 04/09/2019 and it's been going strong ever since. It's the passenger side axle if that means anything to you. Never had an issue with vibration thank god, but I have heard others that have had issues with it. No idea how it was fixed or even if it was fixed. As you can see in my signature, it was replaced roughly 20k miles ago, since I'm at roughly 164k miles currently.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did your factory cv axles weigh more than the surtrack axles? My factory axles were double in weight, if not more. An I've read about cheap aftermarket axles breaking cause they couldn't handle the weight of the suspension. I'm just worried they may break because they're so much lighter than the factory. If an axle breaks the car just won't go anymore right.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,168 Posts
Axles don't deal with suspension weight, so already, that's a pretty bad source.

But aftermarket axles are often hollow vs solid OEM. They are weaker, but if you're not launching on sticky tires it's alright. They'll actually make your car faster.

But vibration will wreck your transmission, and crankshaft bearings

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
I'm not sure if they weigh more or less, as you can see, it's been a good year and a half. I was worried about the vibration that I heard about also, so I never felt it so I never worried about it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks for the feedback, also I am curious to know what the normal amount of fluid is that comes out when you take the axle off. Barley anything came out of mine, like 5 drops in the middle of the drain pan about the size of two quarters. I'm not sure if that's normal or not, if you could let me know I'd appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts