Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my car back and now I'm ready to install my spoiler that I picked up from the parts dealer. The two main bolts lineup to the holes on the trunk so that's pretty self-explanatory. However I'm not quite sure what to do with that silver piece slightly inward . Does anyone have any tips to avoid making any dumb

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't take the trunk off the car to install. would be more hassle vs reward.

Make a template by tracing the location of your bolts and spoiler base. You can use this to mark the location if the hole needed for the silver pin it helps to stabilize the spoiler, so don't grind it off if yours has one too.

The install was pretty straightforward. Use double and triple check your spoiler bolt alignment to the holes at the bottle of the trunk. Start with a SMALL pilot hole from bottom-up to mark the spots. When ready to drill, I used masking tape on the trunk to prevent the drill from slipping on both sides.

I don't recall what size drill bit I used, but always start smaller and work your way up a size until it's just right.

After the two main holes are made. Use the template you made to locate where the "silver pin" hole should be.

You can either buy the gasket or make one to provide the buffer between the spoiler and trunk lid. If you don't it can rattle or shake, potentially undoing the bolts. Also protects against weather.

After drilling, I chose to use touchup paint on the exposed metal to combat rusting. Maybe over kill since the spoiler will be on it, but meh.

Once the bolts are in make sure you have the right nuts/washers that will lock the spoiler in place. Threadlocker may be a good idea here.

Hand tighten the nuts. Overtightening may damage the trunk. So let it sit and form the gasket (if you went liquid method).

Check for any loosening on the nuts after the first drive. And then again after a few others. The spoiler doesn't make an insane amount of down force, but I'm all about it not flying off while on the high way lol.

Sorry no pics. I did this a while back and didn't think to document the process at the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. I have a 2006 so it seems from the posts it might be a bit tricky. I'll try to post some pics once we do the install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts