Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  calitin 
#1 ·
Hello all, new member so please go easy.
OK I'll try and not make this long. I was doing 60mph on the freeway and the car just died (2006 gs manual). Turned out my timing belt and I think balance belt snapped. The mechanic sent the head out to be machined. He later reported back that I only bent 2 valves, which he gave to me. I picked up the car after a week and took it home. Next day the car starts acting funny and ses code comes on. I take it back and he says it's missfire in cylinder 4, which were the valves bent. 2 days later and he tells me it was a bad spark plug. The next day another ses light. This time it's p0421, says I need a new catalytic converters. So my question would be: could it really be that or did he still no fix the car right.

#2 · (Edited)
what's the mileage on the engine? it is possible that the catalytic converter just happens to be bad, however this would only be true for cylinders 1 and 4, which is the catalytic conveter that's integrated in the exhaust manifold...it's also possible (but more likely, in my opinion) that the oxygen sensor is bad (or bad connection), or even that there is an exhaust leak.

#6 ·
Gutting them will result in failing emissions if they do a tail pipe test or if you dont add the proper spacers.

#7 ·
Alright thanks. I went ahead and bought a used one off a member from here. I'm thinking I'll use that one to pass emissions (unless it does end up being a bad sensor) and gut my bad one and swap them out when need be. I'll report my results as soon as I get a chance to mess with it.

#12 ·
Well for anyone who stumbles upon this problem, I replaced the exhaust manifold with used one from a member here and I've drove the car 3 days and no ses light so far. I drive 80 miles daily so I'm sure the ses light would have came back on already, and if it does then I will just gut the cats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.