Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS/AUTO
I originally bought this baby in February 2018 at around 178,000 miles on odometer (yes I know that’s quite a lot) but at that time I was car-less and needed transportation to work and school lol so I purchased her for $3500 and have been working on getting her healthy and capable of driving up to 400,000 miles at least
Now here are the updates and pictures so far from over the course of one year of owning “Ana (pronounced ahh-nuh)” the name of my Eclipse

MAINTENANCE
-2 oil/filter changes
-Removed and sandblasted clean my spark plugs
-Thorough Engine Bay Clean
-Replaced exhaust header gaskets
-Replaced positive battery terminal fuse
INTERIOR
-Sony radio head unit (just laying around, car came without a radio
-Custom ported sub box w/ 2 8” Fosgate P2 punches w/ dual coils
-1500 watt amp going to the subs and 1000 watt amp going to my door speakers
-swapped oem light gray seats with black/dark gray seats
EXTERIOR
-Spec-D LED Tailights
-2009+ Eclipse oem rear bumper dual exit conversion
-Gator Duraflex side skirts
-30% window tint
-Aodhan DS01 Rims 18x9.5 Front & 18x10.5 rear +22 offset all around
-235/40R18 front and 245/40R18 Rear
Fallen Ziex ZE950 Tires
-SickSpeed spiked lugs and spiked valve stem
PERFORMANCE
-Front and Rear Duralast brake pads and rotors and new brake caliper guide pins
-Moog sway bar bushings and end links
-Moog inner/outer tie rods
-Alignment after I installed Moog suspension parts and the wheels
-RRE Catless Headers
-DC Sports CAI
-Custom dual exit cat-back exhaust 2.5” piping and Y-Pipe with Magnaflow: High Flow Cat, Resonator, and 2 Mufflers with 5” diameter exhausts tips
-OEM upstream and downstream O2 sensors
-Replaced Belt Tensioner and idler pulleys
-Replaced Serpentine belt
-Remanufactured Duralast Alternator
-Duralast Battery
-Duralast Starter

Here are some pictures of the progress:
When I bought her...

Window Tint...

Before engine mods...

After engine mods...
(RRE Headers)

(DC SPORTS CAI)

(Remanufactured Alternator)

Spark plugs cleaned...

Sub box and amps...

Rear Bumper Conversion...

Custom Dual Exhaust...

MOOG SUSPENSION INSTALL...

FINALLY WHEELS/TIRES...

Alignment...

Next up get this baby tuned.

She is around 195,000 miles now and drives decently but my transmission will definitely need an overhaul. I want any and everyone to please leave some feedback on what I NEED to do in order to assure that the engine and transmission will technically “be healthy” and last for a longer time.

Thank you!

·
Basically Stock
5,855 Posts
Likely you'll have power loss due to compression loss from worn cylinder walls and rings. Boring to 87.5mm and fresh rings/pistons will fix that.

A side effect of the blowby is that you'll contaminate your oil quicker, so you have to do more frequent oil changes to lessen inevitable bearing wear.

To get 400,000, baby the hell out of it, and keep up to date on timing belt and balance shaft belt changes. Otherwise, engine rebuild at some point.

The trans will wear on the clutch bands and begin to slip. Those can be replaced. Just avoid overheating the trans fluid, and rebuild it when needed

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Likely you'll have power loss due to compression loss from worn cylinder walls and rings. Boring to 87.5mm and fresh rings/pistons will fix that.

A side effect of the blowby is that you'll contaminate your oil quicker, so you have to do more frequent oil changes to lessen inevitable bearing wear.

To get 400,000, baby the hell out of it, and keep up to date on timing belt and balance shaft belt changes. Otherwise, engine rebuild at some point.

The trans will wear on the clutch bands and begin to slip. Those can be replaced. Just avoid overheating the trans fluid, and rebuild it when needed

I am planning on digging deep into rebuilding the engine but never done so before so I definitely will need the knowledge and the money lol...... I’m really trying to give it a brand new feel little by little and rebuilding or replacing my transmission is something next on my to do list

What do you recommend? Rebuild old one or just replace with a less worm one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Basically Stock
5,855 Posts
I'm building a motor right now. It's rather quite simple to do honestly. I'd suggest that route, but again, bore to 87.5mm. Just putting 87mm pistons in a worn block will give excessive blowby.

My 100,000 mile block had 0.006" of wear. My pistons need 0.0045" clearance. So that's 50% more clearance than is supposed to be there. Depends on if you want to save $200 to have a less powerful less strong motor or not

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm building a motor right now. It's rather quite simple to do honestly. I'd suggest that route, but again, bore to 87.5mm. Just putting 87mm pistons in a worn block will give excessive blowby.

My 100,000 mile block had 0.006" of wear. My pistons need 0.0045" clearance. So that's 50% more clearance than is supposed to be there. Depends on if you want to save $200 to have a less powerful less strong motor or not

Do you have Facebook messenger or something I can contact you on directly and you get notified easier than the forum? Because I really do want to ask more questions about your build and the costs and which routes I should take

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the underdrive pulley in and I’m going to install it in about two days and then work on getting the tune!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Federal 6 looks kind of like mine same color but I like that little spoiler you got there in the pack where'd you get that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Federal 6 looks kind of like mine same color but I like that little spoiler you got there in the pack where'd you get that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It came with the car bro. It’s just a factory spoiler
Here’s a pic

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let us know how that tune goes for you. I'm prob gonna go through with Hackish myself soon. The 4g is looking great btw

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I will definitely let you all know how the tune goes in a week or two and thanks! I haven’t worked much on her looks but after the time that’s all I’m going to focus on is changing the body color and lowering her with some tein coils

·
Registered
283 Posts
“SAPHIRE” New addition to the family! preciate it @Joshinator99

Nice looking ride! Have fun! :fever:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts