Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told my valve seals need to be replaced due to smoke anyone that can help me probably save some money or ideas? My mechanic told me it would b $1300 do they gotta take the block out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,858 Posts
No, and $1300 is too much for that job anyway even with parts

U just have to take the valve cover off and fix those seals, if that’s even really your issue, and put on a new valve cover gasket

Also, u could get a whole engine engine head for $500

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it can be done with just taking the valve cover off? Seems like the shop wanted the money badly

·
Registered
528 Posts
There's more to it than just taking the valve cover off. You have to remove the rocker assemblies and either drop rope into the cylinder via the spark plug hole, or use air. You have to keep the valves from dropping into the cylinder because you have to remove the springs to replace the seals. Even for a head gasket job $1,300 is way too much. But it is a time consuming project either way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds good let me know thank you! Im actually picking my car up today from the shop going to see how it starts up etc. Guy told em he thinks it the valve seals I was going to use some bar seals valve oil repair but idk yet. Picking it up friday

1 - 7 of 7 Posts