Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a set of solid aluminum replacement door panels on ebay which I'm sure come from someone on this forum and I wanted to post my thoughts after installing them.

The handles on my car were beginning to break and I decided that I wanted to replace them with something that wouldn't. I did some research and found two solutions here; solid aluminum handles, and someone who had built a reinforcement bracket for the existing ones. I considered going with the brackets because it would've been nice to keep the OE look, but the upgrades I want to do this car all focus on improving NVH; even unbroken, a new set of handles tend to squeak and creak, leading me away from any multi-piece handle solution.

I don't know if I can articulate how much better these replacement handles feel in terms of quality. I **hated** the old handles. They look cheap, they feel cheap, and I'm pretty sure we can all agree, based on the replacement costs, that they *are* cheap. Every time I pulled the door closed it felt like the door was one good shake away from completely falling apart in my hand. They are genuinely awful pieces of hardware.

Immediately, these replacement units felt like they were mated to the door, in the way that the door and the handle now feel like one solid, proper piece. They have considerable heft, much more than the OE design, and they make no noise in comparison. While aesthetically, I would prefer something that mounted slightly more flush with the rest of the door panel, the use of the hex bolts to mount are a good aesthetic compromise that will fool anybody who isn't intimately familiar with this car that these aren't OE. The brushed aluminum unfortunately has a propensity to pick up hand marks so they're prone to smudging, but I would much rather deal with wiping off sweaty hand marks than to deal with the groaning, creaking and cracking of the old ones. There are tricks you can do to minimize that impact as well; for example if you know a seamstress or your way around a sewing machine, you can stitch a cover for it out of a more suitable fabric.

I would highly recommend purchasing these door handles for your car. Unless you're absolutely firm on keeping a completely stock appearance in your car, these are a very significant upgrade over the stock part.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Rob z makes them. Actually those are just to reinforce the door handles to make them look oem you'll need to use a dremel on the back of the door handles cover. You'll see that they won't fit because of where the two bolts are now. Shave that off and you can put the covers back on making it look oem.
Edit: I don't know if you've seen the instal video but this is how you do it straight from Rob himself.
https://youtu.be/GDsK-JymXY4

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am familiar with Rob's brackets, but those are not what I bought. I linked to the ebay listing to the handles I did buy. I explained why I elected to go with a different solution in my review of what I bought.

·
Registered
288 Posts
These look cool, but I have one concern about them. After the car has been sitting in the summer sun for a few hours, does getting into the car and pulling the door closed sear the skin right off the palm of your hand?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts