Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
As we know that GT models have a tendency of wheel hopping, people try solid motor mount and lower the car to help with that.
Just one quick question for members with solid mount.
Is the vibration unbearable for daily driver?
I have a 1h 40 minutes round trip daily so I just want to know before pulling the trigger on solid mounts.
Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
just for fun, I don't own a gt. But on my 1985 300zx I have solid mounts all around and though its not a daily driver, the vibrations off it are negligible and didn't really change the cabin feel much at all. Different car, different time, but it does have a v6.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,658 Posts
Guys go poly not solid. Generally they also only do the front and rear mounts. It's terrible at first, then they get worked in and it's fine. I didn't notice that they were even there between my GT with them (broken in) and totally stock vibration wise.

Going totally solid concerns me as then the block and trans become stressed chassis members, and would be a risk for cracking.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool.. thanks guys..
Im glad it’s not that bad..
I’m thinking about being a little conservative by filling the mount with window flashing first and see how it feels..

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,658 Posts
I use urethane to make my bushings for racing, and it's entirely down to how much you use. If you drill out the rubber and inject it like I do, it can easily become stiffer than the poly bushings on the market for these.

I've also found it has the same break in as the normal press in mounts, which makes sense, as it's very similar material.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking about filling the open gaps from the current OEM with polyethylene to see if it makes any differences first..then I can buy the poly mount later..
I just want to have a few for it on the long commute..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know what this motor mount does?
Head Jaw Toy Flash photography Gesture

Does it prevent the motor rocking back and forth?
Thanks.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,658 Posts
Nope, the ones under the motor stop the rolling forward/back under throttle as their main purpose.

That one holds it in place during cornering primarily. It's the least important mount to change to lower torque steer, unless it's broken. The trans mount makes a huge difference, but adds a TON of vibration. You'll never not feel like you're in a racecar with the side mounts done in poly.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So these are the ones that stop the motor rolling?
Camera accessory Rim Tool Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Gesture Synthetic rubber Personal protective equipment Font Fashion accessory

They are the front and rear bottom mount...
My engine has excessive movement even at the initial start.
I had some one in driver seat and start the car then I noticed the engine jerk back then forth.
I guess time to replace them..
Thanks James.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool.. thanks guys..
I'll try that set up to see how it goes..
Poly for front mount and OEM rubber for rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts