Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Line Motor vehicle Parallel Screenshot

anybody have experience or know someone that invested in these, cant find any reviews on them. also should i get motor mount bushings or get the fabricated mount along with it cause on autocity they got the while mount

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea this will make the car handle better right? and its not on coilovers yet im just planing and studying right now but im planning on putting either meagan or bc coilovers on

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
Ive seen more people get only the rear anti roll bar to combat understeer bc we're fwd.
I just bought the rear the other day but haven't had time to install
I really don't know why that myth went around. Stiffer rear causes oversteer on a RWD but understeer on a FWD. It's why the GT has a softer bar than a GS from the factory. If you want to kill understeer, do a front bar. One of my GT had a stiff rear roll bar, one was stock (I was driving these back to back). The stock one had way less understeer, but the stiffer bar gave more confidence. Odds are, it's perception from inexperienced drivers that led to the myth.

As for mounts, the poly front and rear are plenty for 99% of peoples' eclipse.

·
TheSlow4g
2007 GS SE Turbo (In Progress)
180 Posts
I have those sway bars and a set of quality coilovers, and I have absolutely no body roll now. From what I've noticed it handles significantly better, but that could also just be a false confidence, placebo effect. Only true way to tell is on a track. But, anyway, I don't regret it at all. The car felt fantastic through corners. Sway bars alone won't make a huge difference, but once I threw the coilovers on afterwards it felt entirely different.

·
TheSlow4g
2007 GS SE Turbo (In Progress)
180 Posts
he said “placebo effect” im cryin thats mad funny but you have the st set front and back? or just front like you were sayin?
I said placebo effect because that's what it very well could've been.. my imagination thinking it's better just because it's there, but it also could have actually made a difference only way to tell is track times that I don't have lol. I have front and back because my car is getting built for track use. Sway bars and coilovers tuned for track use make for a very unpleasant experience on the road. It handles very nicely, and it's fun to drive. But I feel every single bump and it's just not comfortable. They are a very good investment if you're serious about upgrading, but if you just want a comfortable daily your money could be spent elsewhere. I think you should get them

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lol that rear antiroll mount is a bjtch. I did motor mounts when I swapped out my engine and it was STILL a bjtch to get that rear one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I've been looking into this (absolutely correct me if I'm wrong) but everything I've been reading suggests that a rear sway on a fwd car helps with understeer and a front bar would make it worse

2 articles, if you have anything that proves this wrong lmk

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
Articles like those are too simplistic. The first doesn't mention anything about suspension geometry or how it'll change with mass center, alignment, spring rate, or tire setup. The second article is about RWD trucks with leaf spring suspension.

To find the answer for what'll work on your EXACT setup, you need to know what's going on in your suspension right now on your setup. Eg, the one I had with a stiffer rear bar that FELT great but understeered worse was on a factory alignment, and sticky tires. The front end would have been dipping into positive camber due to soft spring rates, street use alignment, and the sticky tires, which causes understeer.

Factors involved:
-Suspension properties (eg, the front suspension on these changes camber pretty wildly during compression, the rear changes camber and toes in, which can prevent some understeer on a FWD when you've got roll)
-Spring rates
-Roll center
-Tire size
-Tire grip (model of tire, age, wear, size, air pressure)
-Alignment
-Weight bias
-Center of mass

You'll find some cars, like a mini cooper, really like a stiff rear bar. You'll find others, like a Golf, like a stiff front bar. But then all that can change depending on, was the car on stock springs, what was his ride height, what did he have for weight mods, did he run aero, etc etc etc. What works on the track doesn't always translate to street performance.

Also remember, handling and grip are two totally different things. A car that handles well might not have a lot of grip, but is nice to drive (stiffer rear bar on a 4G is a great feeling). And a car that grips well might not handle worth shit (always jumping around, transitioning from oversteer to understeer, an absolute handful is possible) while doing high cornering G forces. Grip comes from coefficient of friction, and force. So you can see, for maximum grip, preserving your wheel alignment to be the fullest contact patch on the loaded tire matters quite a lot. Handling comes from the properties of how the car's weight is transferred as suspension moves. A front end that is very stiff in corners will be more sensitive to jerky movements, and makes for a less friendly design.

I honestly don't believe in doing one or the other, both bars should be done at once, and adjustable bars should be used at both ends to dial it in to your driving style and car setup when possible. Being able to dial in for proper suspension dynamics to maximum grip, while then being able to adjust the handling to a point that works for the driver is where the best experience would be found.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I really don't know why that myth went around. Stiffer rear causes oversteer on a RWD but understeer on a FWD. It's why the GT has a softer bar than a GS from the factory. If you want to kill understeer, do a front bar. One of my GT had a stiff rear roll bar, one was stock (I was driving these back to back). The stock one had way less understeer, but the stiffer bar gave more confidence. Odds are, it's perception from inexperienced drivers that led to the myth.

As for mounts, the poly front and rear are plenty for 99% of peoples' eclipse.
It came from a misunderstanding of gran turismos description on increased stiffness of front and rear sway bars if you notice the stock sway bar on cars like the civic r have stiffer front sway bars than the rears but people read the description wrong on they’re effect!! Just guessing

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,845 Posts
so im bouta just grab the rear cause im driving on the street
You may as well stick with stock then. Street alignment, you'll just add understeer as explained. The money is better spent elsewhere than to add understeer but feel smooth to the limit. I pulled 1.35g sustained on lowering springs with stock sway bars on my GS (1.37g peak but hardly). They'd be a better go. Or saving up towards good coilovers. Or even just fresh OEM control arm bushings. Stiffer motor/trans mounts would even be a better go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts