Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how can you tell if the starter or the alternator are messed up. i have a brand new batter(1 month old) so i know its not the battery. my car wont turn on, im so sad! can somebody tell me how to take off the starter and the alternator. is there a device that can tell you whats not working!? please help!!!

·
Gots me a sooby
5,908 Posts
get alternator tested? Do you hear the starter making a sound when you try to turn the car over? Also you could hit up an auto store and they could mostly lend you (if not sell you) a device to check, just my guess.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where is the starter!?

·
Registered
117 Posts
You might have a bad connection..considering you just put a new battery in... Did this happen before or after you put a new battery in?

make sure clamps are tight...try again

Do the lights on the dash come on? Or is the car is just DEAD?

if battery lost charge from loose clamps..you may need to recharge it

The alternator won't cause vehicle to not start...just not charge battery enough to engage starter..

You need to check battery voltage with a digital multimeter...if you don't have one, autozone can check it with theyre machine
At idle, battery voltage should be between 13-15 volts, that means alternator is charging
if it is below 13 volts, alternator is bad....

need more info....

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is not clicking noises after i turn the key!!! i will try hitting the starter right now!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i found out it was my starter i took it off...it was really easy...it took me about 15-20 mins. when i took it off there was a small bolt in the hole where the flywheel is at. im guess its a bolt that is attached to the flywheel. the starter doesnt work cause there a piece of metal stuck in between the thing spins....well...does anybody want me to make a HOW TO: remove and change a starter!?

·
Gots me a sooby
5,908 Posts
might as well, some people should be facing those problems soon. Thanks in Advance :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Good job man! congrats..bet you feel pretty good:bigthumb:

so i found out it was my starter i took it off...it was really easy...it took me about 15-20 mins. when i took it off there was a small bolt in the hole where the flywheel is at. im guess its a bolt that is attached to the flywheel. the starter doesnt work cause there a piece of metal stuck in between the thing spins....well...does anybody want me to make a HOW TO: remove and change a starter!?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i shall be getting my new starter in on tuesday, so i will do it then!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good job man! congrats..bet you feel pretty good:bigthumb:
i thought it was going to be really hard to take it off...i do feel good!!! lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
how can you tell if the starter or the alternator are messed up. i have a brand new batter(1 month old) so i know its not the battery. my car wont turn on, im so sad! can somebody tell me how to take off the starter and the alternator. is there a device that can tell you whats not working!? please help!!!
When you turn the key, what happens? Does it click? Do the display lights come on? Any decent part store should be able to tell if it's the battery or alternator. They can check the starter but it has to be out of the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts