Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

Starter spins but won't engage

Tags
starter
3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pcfreak4 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 eclipse and im lost. I was driving the car one day and there werent any issues (that i was aware of,,no cluster lights, no bogging down), and i came to a red light where the car seemed to idle just fine. When the light turned green i gave it gas and let off the clutch as i do every other time and it stalled out like i let off the clutch too early. I had it towed home due to it not starting back up and once at home i realized the starter was just spinning and not engaging anything. My dad and i rolled it and checked all the teeth on the flywheel, everything looked perfectly fine, pushing the car and trying to pop the clutch didnt work. Ive bought a new battery. Ive bought 3 brand new starters and each has been tested at the store to make sure they are in working order. Still nothing. I really dont want to pay to put it in a shop and have them charge me out the ass to diagnose it and it be a relay or something small like that, but that being said, i really am not that mechanically educated so it could be something simple and it could not. Please help. Thank you in advance.

#3 ·
Battery is new. All the teeth on the flywheel look good. Bendix on the the starter is working properly. Based on what is said, the starter spins fast? If these items are true the 3 things that come to mind as potential problems are: something is broken inside the bell housing of your trans preventing the bendix from engaging your flywheel, your ring gear has separated from your flywheel, or something happened that you lost compression. most commonly a timing belt issue.

#4 ·
Thank you for the reply! Yeah, its spinning fast,,well from what i hear lol. I am going to take a look at those first thing. This propably sounds dumb as hell but, if something is broken inside the bell housing stopping the bindex from engaging will it be something obvious, or could be something simple i may overlook?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.