Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 gt 6 speed recently my motor spun a rod and was just sitting for about 2 months. Well i finally decided to take on rebuilding the car and bought a engine off of a 2004 endeavor (It was our engine 3.8L V6 6G75 just non mivec). all i needed was the block and all the other parts are off my engine with the exception of forged pistons and rods and a new crank. I recently put the engine back in the car and started it up. started the first time with some grinding on the starter. then about on the 4th time i started it the starter did not engage the flywheel and i heard spinning but there was no crank. pulled the starter tested fine. Car can be started easily by pushing it and dropping it in gear. so i bought a new starter installed it and the car started up, but same issue after a few starts it just spins and grinds and wont crank the engine

·
Registered
31 Posts
2 things come to mind. Going from memory there should be a bendix in the starter that engages the flywheel when starting. That can go bad and the motor would still work fine so it could still be the starter even though it tests ok. Second, did you happen to look at the flywheel to check and see if there were any worn or missing teeth? That's all I got.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 things come to mind. Going from memory there should be a bendix in the starter that engages the flywheel when starting. That can go bad and the motor would still work fine so it could still be the starter even though it tests ok. Second, did you happen to look at the flywheel to check and see if there were any worn or missing teeth? That's all I got.
Thanks for replying i checked the flywheel and some teeth are worn but not missing and its not too bad. And i bought a new starter and the same thing happened could it just be luck that they both fried?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Endeavor use the same flywheel? Starter?
i went to autozone and had them check for me. They use the Same starter and im using my flywheel and my trans so i have no clue what the problem is when it was perfectly fine before

·
Registered
1 Posts
i went to autozone and had them check for me. They use the Same starter and im using my flywheel and my trans so i have no clue what the problem is when it was perfectly fine before
Anyone ever figure out what the issue is? Im having the same exact problem with my 06 2.4 manual

·
2,301 Posts
Anyone ever figure out what the issue is? Im having the same exact problem with my 06 2.4 manual
My starter went out when this happened

unfortunately our starter is in a pretty bad spot so it gets cooked by heat from the exhaust and engine in general

plus the original starter just sounds terrible, generic aftermarket ones sound better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts