Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 586 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people. I can see the interest of the turbo projects. I want to offer to your attention one more project. Its goal, the creation of low-cost, working turbo kit. All that is written in this topic, you can repeat or just buy. I want to remind you that do not understand English, so I write through the electronic translator. I'm not against, if the moderators edit my text. All the formulas and calculations made in the metric system. This project was executed on the stock parts. So don't wait for the giant capacity. However, let's begin.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Many tuners built turbo, then calculated power and etc. However, this is not the right approach. Correctly first, calculate, and then to build the engine. There are a few simple points.
1) Initial settings. (what we have before construction)
2) the Desired result (the one that we want to get)
3) Calculation (we consider the air, fuel, power etc.)
4) Selection of the components (turbine, parts, etc.)
5) Installation (actually Assembly)
6) setup (ECU, pressure, fuel, etc.)
That's it for this scheme will work.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1)Initial settings. So, what we have? Engine code: 4G69
Size: 2.4 L (2378 QC)
Cylinder: 87 mm
Stroke: 100 mm
Power: 160 HP. (117 kW) at 5750 rpm. with 158 ft·lbf (215 N·m) at 4000 rpm.
Compression ratio : 9,5
MFI fuel injection,
4 valves per cylinder.
Valves without the hydro-compensators.
Automatic gearbox F4A4B.
For the beginning of these parameters are sufficient.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Love to see this

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2) the Desired result.
Oh, this item is always causes a lot of disputes. the voices of the people hundreds of horsepower. But not all people understand that they can use them. You can build any engine. And 400, and 500, and 1000 HP, etc.
However, any increase shall entail significant spending. This relates primarily to the engine itself. Need to strengthen the pistons, rods, gear box, transmission, etc. The total amount of construction is increasing to infinity. Therefore, we must descend from the heavens to the earth and calculate what you can do.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you leave the stock parts, we can boldly say - 100 HP per liter volume. Go back to step 1. The volume of 2378cc. Thus, the safe capacity will reach 238 hp. A further increase will require strengthening of the engine and the transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
However, if the purpose of the project is to leave all part of the stock, then there is another option. This is the performance of the injectors. There are formulas for calculating the performance. They take into account the number of cylinders, pressure fuel pump, duty cycle,the losses of fuel (B.S.F.C.). However, I want to offer another, more simple way.
If the duty cycle is equal to 90%, fuel rail pressure of 3 bar.
The power can be calculated as: the Size of the injector : 5.25 x number of cylinders.
Stock size GS injector = 275 cc.
275 : 5.25 x 4 = 209.5
Thus, the stock injectors, will be able to secure the capacity of 210 HP.
That is, if you take the injectors for example from GT = 305cc. 305 : 5.25 x 4 = 232 HP.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You think 210 HP is very little? Believe me, it will be a very fast car. Is much faster than a stock GT. Because it is important not only power as such. We must take into account the weight of the vehicle and a gear ratio gearbox. I stopped at the power of 210 HP.
Now you need to make the calculation of the air.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You first need to calculate basic air flow N/A. This is done by the formula.
Basic air flow = V x rpm x 0.5 x E / 1000000
where, V - volume (cc), rpm - (6000) 0.5 - of 0.5 means that the four-stroke engine air in the cylinder comes only at the time of one turnover of the two. E - filling ratio (0.85). The number of 1000000 serves to convert cc to cubic meters.
2378 x 6000 x 0.5 x 0.85 /1000000 = 6.06 m3/min
This is a basic air flow N/A engine. Remember this number.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now we need to calculate the required pressure. To do this, we use the formula.
Rated power = the initial power x (the boost pressure /atmospheric pressure)
Make an equation.
210 = 160 x ( X / 1 bar)
210 = 160 x X
X = 210 / 160
X = 1.31bar (absolute pressure = atmospheric pressure + boost pressure
For achievement of the power 210 hp need to 0.31 bar (4.5 psi) boost pressure

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The next step is the calculation of the air flow with the turbocharged. This is done by the formula
air flow turbo = boost pressure x basic air flow
1.31 x 6.06 = 7.94 m3/min
To convert m3/min to a more correct term kg/min, m3/min should be multiplied by the density of the air at a height of geographic location (sorry, inscriptions in Russian)

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Now you can choose a turbocharger. We know the air flow. In the specification of turbochargers is, the parameter of consumption. It is expressed - kg per second. The weight of air per minute / 60 seconds = supply air (It is possible for English it sounds different)
7.94 / 60 = 0.13 kg per second
Now I take the directory and find the desired me turbocharger

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is a very small compressor. This will avoid the lag. It occupies very little space.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is one more option. Compression ratio. The boost pressure is very low. So no change in the engine does not have to. However, I want to give a formula for the calculation.
the total compression ratio = compression ratio + (boost pressure) in square
9.5 + (0.31x0.31) = 9.6
As you can see, nothing will not need to change.
if you calculates high boost pressure, for example 1.5 bar (21psi)
9.5 + (1.5x1.5) = 11.75
in this case it is necessary to reduce the CR.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the upper part of the catalysts is the seams. Let's cut off by the edge of the bottom. Remove excess metal inside. If you buy this kit, you will have to repeat it for me.

1 - 20 of 586 Posts