Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my car stated he had a aftermarket converter put in and my car has slowly had a rattle at high rpms, now I'm losing power and my car is shaking at low rpms so I need to replace the cat because it's stopped up and the noise is coming from it, is there any exhaust kit I can purchase so the cat isn't right by the motor and its in a more standard along the exhaust fashion

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,972 Posts
Welcome to the club.

GS or GT?

Typically people replace the stock manifolds with catless headers, and get a tune or run O2 spacers to remove the cat codes. RRE and OBX make GT headers, where as RRE and a shitty Chinese company called DNA motoring make them for the GS (DNA motoring one needs to be modified to be run safely, else it will damage your engine). Only the pre cats, on the manifolds, are monitored. The primary cat is under the car. If it's plugged you won't get a code for it.

Side note, monitoring pre cats on manifolds is fairly common.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
07 Gs, and the pre cats are what's giving me the problem, they are so stopped up that my car is having to force the fumes out through the manifold gasket because they're isn't enough clearance

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
7,972 Posts
If you don't have cat scrap at a good price in your area, a "fix" can be to smash the cat material out. It won't be as good as stock, but is an option.

Replacement aftermarket ones on RockAuto aren't too pricy either if you're not in California where it has to be factory

·
Super Moderator
405 Posts
I have an exhaust manifold with functional cats on it still that I just pulled off my parts car. I had this happen with my first Eclipse and it was doing the same thing; Forcing exhaust out of every hole it could. I gutted all of the cats but I know a lot of people can't completely remove the cats. DM me if you're interested in purchase it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts