Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the life of me I can't find OEM strut assembly for the 2006 Eclipse GS?
I found a few options but they're like $200 PER assembly...

Would OEM strut assembly from a 3G work?

Also I found this a coil over kit for $320; This includes all four corners... brand new full assembly Was curious if these would be an alright replacement? Seems suspiciously cheap...
This vehicle is just a daily driver and I like to take care of it. I drive ALOT, but I don't do any sort of track racing or recreational motorsports with it, and I drive like an 80 year old man.

What do you guys think? Any opinions?

I'm looking to spend up to $400 total. Maybe that's kinda cheap... That being said, I was also thinking of just tracking down what pieces are worn at each corner and replacing those instead of a full assembly replacement.

·
2,292 Posts
That cheap coil over kit will be worse than your old OEM shocks

A decent one will be like at least $800 for a set and usually over $1000-1200 for a good set

If you’re looking to go for some new shocks cheap, just get some KYB off rock auto or something

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
5,942 Posts
3g struts are different. The 3g is a Sebring, we share almost nothing with it.

$320 coilovers, you get the ride quality you pay for. A lot of 20 year olds swear cheap coils are as good as expensive, but they're just looking for low and stiff usually. If you like stock, stay stock.

RockAuto has struts. Gonna assume GS, here's a link. In the vendor section there's always a 5% off code as well.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mitsubishi,2006,eclipse,2.4l+l4,1431916,suspension,strut,7584

·
2,292 Posts
The Sebring 4 door is a Sebring

The Sebring 2 door is actually an Eclipse 3g, not the other way

But point stands

Don’t buy cheap car parts

·
Basically Stock
5,942 Posts
Is it though. The platform was made before either model came out. So to say it's a Sebring to differentiate it from the 4G platform seems much less misleading, and many more people will see a difference between the 4G and a Sebring than a 3G and 4G when going by name

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That cheap coil over kit will be worse than your old OEM shocks

A decent one will be like at least $800 for a set and usually over $1000-1200 for a good set

If you’re looking to go for some new shocks cheap, just get some KYB off rock auto or something
I don't expect them to perform amazing. This car doesn't get pushed hard whatsoever. I'm the guy going exactly the speed limit in the slow lane that no one likes.... This is NOT an upgrade, I literally just need new struts. My oem ones are done for.

So more so I'm asking would they suffice in terms of normal driving?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
3g struts are different. The 3g is a Sebring, we share almost nothing with it.

$320 coilovers, you get the ride quality you pay for. A lot of 20 year olds swear cheap coils are as good as expensive, but they're just looking for low and stiff usually. If you like stock, stay stock.

RockAuto has struts. Gonna assume GS, here's a link. In the vendor section there's always a 5% off code as well.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mitsubishi,2006,eclipse,2.4l+l4,1431916,suspension,strut,7584
Dude, I just went to the website you suggested and holy shit... I'm a pretty young dude, and the interface for that rock auto site is crap. Idk how to even use their website or navigate. Like it's 2020 why does their website look like a damn BBS from the early 90's. That website just made me angry, anyone who's website still looks like that is a sadist. They also don't have whole kits, I just want an assembly for all four corners, that site only has the shock and induvidual parts. I don't have the time or energy to do all of that. I just want to replace my strut assembly, and be done. None of this Piecing the old ones with the news ones. Just want to take my car to the grocery store and maybe go to the library or something. Just to express how non adventurous I am with my car.

·
2,292 Posts
It’s a parts website for Christ’s sake, how it looks doesn’t matter, if it functions it functions, and their prices for what they do have is way cheaper than any auto parts store, except shipping costs, so Rockauto is great for big expensive items and big orders; but if u need the part right now and don’t want to wait or pay for shipping for a small order of like one part only and the parts store isn’t that much more for the convenience factor then it’s give and take

Just get the KYB or Monroe struts

Rock auto has whole Monroe assemblies for our rear already assembled, not front tho

·
Basically Stock
5,942 Posts
That's literally how parts databases look anywhere you go; it's the standard and is super efficient. Brand, new, model, sub model, and then categories. If you don't like that, you can also use the search bar. Many young people navigate them just fine, including every 17 year old behind a parts desk making minimum wage.

I did miss you were looking for quick struts though, not struts alone. They're significantly more expensive, and only save you 5 minutes per strut. But if that's your thing, that's your thing. Not everyone enjoys working on cars and that's fine.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Tirerack is pretty easy to navigate and inexpensive. I believe everything you need is here. The fully assembled Quick struts were right below the parts list on that Rock Auto link tho, the Monroe's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly if I came off rude about the website, it's because I really just want to search, click, buy, and be done. I've never spent more than $300 for a set of struts for a car... That alone is frustrating. This process is EXASPERATING. I can use the website, I just am so tired of looking at esoteric parts of the internet hahaha. I am sorry for being a dick.

Rock Auto only had them for the front. The website you sent, doesn't have full assemblies...

Every other car in existence I can just buy the OEM fully assembled quick swap struts in one kit for all 4 corners. This is the only car I've ever owned and had this much trouble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
These are the strut assembly package I'm looking at right now. It's cheap as hell.

https://www.maxpeedingrods.com/prod...-2012.html?tracking=googleshoppingUS&code=USD

Granted there's a lot more setup here. But I don't mind that. I'd rather do adjustments, and put together a full kit, than search down and track down individual parts. I spend enough time seeking tedious things on the internet for my job, so there's some ptsd there. After a while, any overwhelming outdated page just feels like it's yelling at you in modem speak.

·
2,292 Posts
They do have struts for all four corners

The backs are the same, they had fully assembled or just strut

The fronts are specific and they had the struts for those too

·
Basically Stock
5,942 Posts
The springs on that cheap set you're looking at are twice the factory spring stiffness. I don't think you're gonna like it.

Also, parts are more expensive due to low volume of sales on these cars, and few people buying replacement parts. It's quickly becoming an enthusiast car with aftermarket only

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The springs on that cheap set you're looking at are twice the factory spring stiffness. I don't think you're gonna like it.

Also, parts are more expensive due to low volume of sales on these cars, and few people buying replacement parts. It's quickly becoming an enthusiast car with aftermarket only
Thank you, this is exactly the info I needed. Aren't they adjustable though? Couldn't I set them to full soft?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They do have struts for all four corners

The backs are the same, they had fully assembled or just strut

The fronts are specific and they had the struts for those too
I did check rock auto again I see the Monroe strut full assembly.. They ONLY have rear full assemblies...

Yes I see they have JUST the strut assembly, but as I've said, I just want a full assembly for front and back. I don't want to have to assemble them myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts