Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sun roof ate itself. I suspect that it was removed when the car was repainted about a year ago and when reinstalled, it wasn’t quite right. When I got the car, it opened and closed but made some weird ”clickey” noises and then stopped opening. Continued to make the noises though.

I removed the glass and found the sliders in various states of...brokenness. I took some pictures, but I think these show what I’m dealing with the best.
5920FE3B-C6DE-4ABB-819E-C3F08203CA04.jpeg
91E796BC-8AF1-4D91-9754-38F8492B931F.jpeg

Eventually I figured out how the sliders work etc. And I got the glass back in. I pulled the fuse to prevent further damage but I think the worst is done.

I searched the site and didnt see too much about people fixing smashed up broken sliders. Mostly just plain not working or leaking etc...

I haven’t seen too much online about ordering these parts. Most seem to want to sell you the entire assembly.

Has anyone tried replacing their sun roof sliders? Part of them or the whole assembly? It looks to me like the assembly is pop-riveted into the sheet metal on the inside portion of the roof. So i’m guessing the roof liner has to come out and you drill the rivets from the inside?...Maybe?

i was thinking about ordering the sliders and cannibalizing them and replacing the broken parts while the assembly is on the car. Not sure if these plastic bits come out though. Any ideas?

I was also thinking about the possibility of taking measurements of the plastic bits that are clearly broken and making CAD renderings and getting them 3D printed. Not sure if I’m skilled enough to do that...plus the above problem.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I love having the sun roof open!

·
Basically Stock
5,666 Posts
Yeah, you'll have to pull the liner for access. And you'll have to pull a good deal of interior trim to access the liner. And without that trim or headliner, the door seals needs to be glued in place otherwise they fall down every time you open your door, lol. That's a problem only if you plan to leave it that way though.

I have a sunroof coming out, but I'll be doing a whole assembly with that said. I can take pictures though from a gutted interior if you needed anything specific

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you'll have to pull the liner for access. And you'll have to pull a good deal of interior trim to access the liner. And without that trim or headliner, the door seals needs to be glued in place otherwise they fall down every time you open your door, lol. That's a problem only if you plan to leave it that way though.

I have a sunroof coming out, but I'll be doing a whole assembly with that said. I can take pictures though from a gutted interior if
Yeah some pictures would defintiely be useful! I’d really like to know how much clearance for a drill bit there is, that sort of thing. I don’t plan to fix this until spring...so if you tackle it first, any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

It sounds like this is not a “start it, drive around with it half finished for 3 weeks, then finish it” type job...

·
Basically Stock
5,666 Posts
Well, my car has definitely seen use with a gutted interior. So it can definitely be done. I used contact cement to hold up the door seals. In my case I don't intend to put an interior back in though.

When you start removing sunroof stuff, that's when you'll find it's not a good one to drive around 3 weeks without. A bit of rain, some leaves, and maybe a black bear could find their way into your car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts