Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bitches Love a Sinner
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I know everyone says if you mess this up, you’re an idiot.

So I’ll take the hits for some knowledge gain.

Basically I did the TB bypass according to Chaos’s TB Bypass write-up. Utilizing the 5/16 ID Barbed Coupler (which I couldn’t find anywhere, so I connected two one-way barbed ends with a nut, BAD IDEA).

It worked good at first, but leaked despite being sealed with high-temp piping sealer. I’ll order the correct coupler off the net then. It sucked that Home Depot and Lowes both don’t carry 5/16 couplers around here. Anyways, it threw my SES light, is that expected?

Also, in digging into the information on doing this I was directed to club9g.net. There the Gallant guys do their TB Bypass differently. They route the TB hose back to the TB and the hose on the engine block back to the engine block. Slight difference in mod, but I’m curious if anyone knows if this will turn off the SES light? I tried to change it to this set up but my huge hands can’t get to the hose clamp on the bottom hose on the engine block. In addition it was getting late and dark.

I just want to know if either way makes a difference. Thanks guys.

Please don't hate me for asking.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
i dont see any problem with the blue hose you have hooked up to keep the tb somewhat clean in case you want to reverse it so you wont have funk going back in the radiator.o'reillys,advance or autozone is where you get the barbed coupler.i highly suggest you do it exactly like chaos and everyone else did it.no ses lights or anything else for me.

·
Lathe Master
3,876 Posts
Cleanest TB Bypass around :)

·
Eclipse MR
9,144 Posts
^^ that is what mine looks like aswell Bill. I don't see why everyone presist on doing this big hopla loop that just gives you another place to leak.

Also, on the TB you don't have to have the looped hose aswell, you can just put a plug on each of the outlets, as nothing is flowing in the TB.

IDK why a bypass would throw a code unless your over heating or somthing.

·
Bitches Love a Sinner
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I apologize for not differentiating clearer. The top pic is how Chaos did it, the bottom pic is how they do it on the gallant boards.

I did it Chaos’s way (minus using the legit coupler) but it threw my SES light. Switched it back and no SES light. Could the small leak from my “fashioned” coupler be enough to set off the SES light then?

·
Eclipse MR
9,144 Posts
IDK... they could have put a sensor in there to detect no waterflow in 08 or something, but I haven't heard of a SES light coming on because of the TB bypass.

·
Eclipse MR
9,144 Posts
In my opinion, Bills is the best way to do it.

·
Diamond Dog
856 Posts
^^ that is what mine looks like aswell Bill. I don't see why everyone presist on doing this big hopla loop that just gives you another place to leak.

Also, on the TB you don't have to have the looped hose aswell, you can just put a plug on each of the outlets, as nothing is flowing in the TB.

IDK why a bypass would throw a code unless your over heating or somthing.
That's what i was thinking. If he's leaking bad it could be overheating. Or low on coolant from the leak.

·
Soon to be SC'd :)
2008 Eclipse GT
29,036 Posts
IDK... they could have put a sensor in there to detect no waterflow in 08 or something, but I haven't heard of a SES light coming on because of the TB bypass.
I have an '08 and no sensor in there....I just covered the pipes on the TB with some rubber nipples from Autozone. I bet the water spraying out from the leak got in to something that caused the SES light to come on and just dried out enough to clear when he patched the leak...just a guess though.

·
Diamond Dog
856 Posts
So basically detach both stock hoses and use a small hose to go from TB back into TB?
There's two hoses. Use one to go engine to engine, and the other tb to tb.

That's the way i'm reading it at least. I'm not an expert.

·
Bitches Love a Sinner
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^ That makes sense. I wasn't leaking bad, just enough to make me switch my "concoction" back to stock until i get the appropriate coupler. Having read all this though, I'll be doing Bill's way. Nice and clean ftw!

·
Registered
253 Posts
you don't have to limit yourself to 5/16" coupler,, I searched and dint find any of those as well. so instead I bought the 3/8" coupler which you can buy anywhere and fits great and tight. remember rubber can stretch lol :biggrin:

·
Bitches Love a Sinner
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...remember rubber can stretch lol :biggrin:
Haha, if I had nickel for every time i heard that.... I'd probably have like 35¢ or something... i don't know where I was going with this... oh well. Thanks for the coupler insight, I was so caught up in having to get a 5/16.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
has anyone tried just using a single hose instead of the coupler?

·
illusionperformance
6,935 Posts
i removed the hose that goes in the top of the tb and connected the bottom hose to where the top hose orginally came from. then i just plugged the tb

·
Registered
139 Posts
I didn't bother with a coupler. free is the best way to go .... engine to engine . I didnt bother with the TB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts