Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the TB bypass kit actually do anything? ive seen claims of up to 8 HP but thats with ported TB and EGR mod, so anyone have just the bypass kit and notice any different at all cuz it seem just kind of pointless without any other modifications. anyone got any input?

·
Registered
585 Posts
The TB bypass is easy to do and cost less than $10 if you get your own supplies.

The cooler the air is that goes into your engine the denser it is. The denser it is the more HP you generate.

The purpose for the coolant being run through your throttle is to keep it from freezing in cold weather. If you don't have cold weather, at least below freezing, there is no need to super heat the air coming in the throttle. It really defeats getting a CAI when your going to heat the air right back up as it comes in to the throttle.

Don't do it because you will get some recordable HP gain. It's like using synthetic oil, you don't do it for the HP, you do it because it makes sense. Any HP gains with the TB bypass are a bonus but not the goal.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Found this, I was a nay-sayer for a while thinking it wouldn't do THAT much; but dynos do not lie...

Modifications #8

Yes, the page looks like it was built in 1985...lol

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well that was easy...hehe, I can defintley say my TB is no longer hot when I get done driving, as far as power, not enough for the butt dyno to register but we'll find out tonight.

·
Registered
279 Posts
how do u do one?? Can someone make a how to for the tb bypass for the GS and GT

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok well youve convinced me that it makes sense to do anyways, im in canada eh but i dont drive the car in the winter. anyone having done this able to make up a parts list, maby some pictures and some instrustions would be a big help, save me wasting proll $20 buying off one of thos nitwits off ebay. much appreciated

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I dont know what size hose it was that I used, it's just a standard 5/X something vacuum hose, you can pick up a vac cap pack from Advanced Auto to block off the TB Coolant ports since there is nothing coming in or out anymore.

As far as the hoses on the motor, just take one off and loop the other around...no extra parts needed.

·
The O.G.
5,332 Posts
wow, thanks guys. no kudo's or link to my write up and pics. instead you use the galant forum.... no loyalty lemme tell ya. :p

·
The O.G.
5,332 Posts
yeah well, i try :)

but really guys, dont spend a dime on these "kits" from anyone, you can do it for free or very close to it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's so easy to do that I did it while I was in the parking lot of the auto parts store. It helps to have some vice grips to pinch off the hoses so they don't leak coolant everywhere.

·
The O.G.
5,332 Posts
Dane, I don't have the old one. Use the one linked from the galant forums. It will work the same way.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts