Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this spyder and I am planning to start to enjoy the summer but a crazy issue just last night.
Charged the dead battery and when I connect the positive cable the car started without the key in the ignition. I put the key in and tried to shut off but it nothing. even with the positive cable disconnected. I had to turn it to start to shut it hit the starter to shut it down.
Had it stored for the past month but no ignition issues prior.

Help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the fix: step on the brake pedal and it resets something. Ignitions find and scything working well. Especially the new top I installed myself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Weird issue. Glad it resolved itself.

Welcome! That's awesome you installed the top yourself. Just the cover or the entire assembly? I've been wondering how tough a job that is for when mine goes caput someday.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
Found the fix: step on the brake pedal and it resets something. Ignitions find and scything working well. Especially the new top I installed myself.
You said you installed a new top yourself? How hard was it? Did it require a ton of weird tools? Please, I'm begging you for more information. I don't want to spend $500+ on a top and have to spend another ton on somebody else to do it because I'm missing specific tools.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the add. 2007 Spyder installed new top

I purchased a top from Amazon distributed by Autoberry for about $300. The only special tool was a pop rivet tool and 1/8 rivets. I took my time and had the old roof cover removed in 2 hours and new one took about 3 more hours. Again I took lots of breaks and worked very slowly. Everything fit great except the rear drive side window edge had a plastic channel that tucks behind the rubber molding. This channel is not formed like the original which caused the edge to stick out and interfere with the lid when it opens. I did clamp the roof to stretch and after some 90°F+ days it doesn’t inter. If you are handy and you watch YouTube videos that are out there (they mention using a staple gun but my car had rivets). And you’ll need a torx t25 & t20.

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
I'm gonna buy the same one you're talking about, but wanted to ask a few more questions. I'm assuming the top basically unbolts from the convertible frame with the Torx and rivets, then installing it was just putting the new one on the way the old one came off, basically screwed in and reassembled, then stretched with the convertible top motor?

How is the quality of the top on the Amazon one from AutoBerry? I don't want the plastic-y vinyl top, I'm looking for the actual cloth type that comes OEM on it. This one says Twill, but also says Vinyl. :eek:

Thanks again, I'm probably going to be tackling this on a long weekend by myself or maybe my girlfriend to hand me a tool or two. This is a one man job if taken your time, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts