Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new here after reading a lot of help posts.

I just wanted to let you all know that my car is definitely a project car. I had this idea a long while back and I've been working on it slowly.

Project uses combination of 3D printing custom parts and sanding+spraying OEM parts.

The concept of the Eclipse Skorpion is the first convertible T-Top that I know of. T-Top will be removable. Full retractable glass with flush seal edges (against passenger and driver windows. Rear louvers. Undecided on colors of the T-Top.

Custom 3D printed headlight covers which I have a rough concept of. Undecided between which two styles look better. I made many styles:

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting White

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting White

Base is a 2007 Eclipse Spyder GT in Black

Colors will be Black, Gold, and Red
Scorpion badge on front grille and on back of car below or above GT lettering.

Most of the chrome parts have been converted to gold at this point.

I will post updates here.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the club.

Any pictures of the current state?
Thank you. Not at the moment. Have been doing a lot of needed maintenance recently. Replacing the spark plugs right now. I don't think they've been replaced since 2007...hopefully I'm wrong. Might be why my bass is staticy. Got the throttle body off because I didn't do the bypass. Might do that in the future. Dude sold it to me and had a terrible mechanic. Some bolts are rounded and welded on in places not often touched. Bottom grille missing. Found out one fuel line security plate was welded on. Missing license plate light which I never noticed. Rear right tail light came out on the highway and was literally hanging out and the glass shattered. Just ordered some blacked out headlights and tail lights (Clear, black housing) Should be here somewhere mid next week.

The branding is coming off next. Maybe lettering too (Will be done at some point.) I will take photos of the painted spoiler and interior, though the side ac vents (Closest to driver and passenger side) are slightly botched due to the fact that they are one plastic piece painted two different colors, one painted like the faux gray 2000s leather lol. The other chrome. Had to sand off only the chrome and it wasn't easy. I might need to scrape a little of the gold off the edges. Still need to do interior door handles and steering wheel badge if possible.

The chrome in the buttons was particularly fun. If you've never taken the buttons apart (Hot cold dial, AC mode selector, output dial) the chrome is actually a satisfying fitted plate that's fully painted.

I'll post photos tomorrow. Also a new entertainment system with backup camera on the way.

· Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 Mid Engine GT
8,161 Posts
I'm gonna sound super negative here, but I'm still enjoying the ride.

It's a 2007. It never had a bottom grille. They only did that to 2009+. 2006-2008 had issues with rocks wrecking the AC because of it.

If yours is a GT, those black tail lights are going to throw a warning for your traction control, and likely stop your cruise control working. Wrong resistance.

On a positive note, the headlight covers are commonly sold called eyelids. The upper design is common. Lower would be unique.

And the headlights will be fine and easy to wire up if you don't have factory projectors like the picture shows.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm gonna sound super negative here, but I'm still enjoying the ride.

It's a 2007. It never had a bottom grille. They only did that to 2009+. 2006-2008 had issues with rocks wrecking the AC because of it.

If yours is a GT, those black tail lights are going to throw a warning for your traction control, and likely stop your cruise control working. Wrong resistance.

On a positive note, the headlight covers are commonly sold called eyelids. The upper design is common. Lower would be unique.

And the headlights will be fine and easy to wire up if you don't have factory projectors like the picture shows.
Wow, never noticed this model didn't have lower grille. I think images misrepresent sometimes. Thanks for pointing that out.

I've never heard of anyone having traction control lights come on for tail lights in newer reviews. Only thing I've seen is from long ago. Sounds like a power issue. Perhaps wiring or battery problem. If it does become an issue I can probably get some load equalizers.

Forgot to mention I already have a yellow top. Combined with new spark plugs I should have no issue with audio.

As for eyelids, yeah, I've seen them. Rallye and such. I'm looking to do completely custom though I had considered them previously. May even do custom housings if I can figure out the correct dimensions in the future. This would allow for parking lights and DRLs to appear without being covered up, which is what I'm hoping for.

As for the projectors, I have no clue if you mean in terms of difficulty or what. If you mean internals, I bought new internals for both front and rear lights (Bulbs, blinkers, reverse) All are Sylvania. I will also purchase necessary crimp tools so I'm not half-assing the job with no halos. Pretty sure a yellow can handle it.

And here is another rough concept:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, never noticed this model didn't have lower grille. I think images misrepresent sometimes. Thanks for pointing that out.

I've never heard of anyone having traction control lights come on for tail lights in newer reviews. Only thing I've seen is from long ago. Sounds like a power issue. Perhaps wiring or battery problem. If it does become an issue I can probably get some load equalizers.

Forgot to mention I already have a yellow top. Combined with new spark plugs I should have no issue with audio.

As for eyelids, yeah, I've seen them. Rallye and such. I'm looking to do completely custom though I had considered them previously. May even do custom housings if I can figure out the correct dimensions in the future.

As for the projectors, I have no clue if you mean in terms of difficulty or what. If you mean internals, I bought new internals for both front and rear lights (Bulbs, blinkers, reverse) All are Sylvania.

And here is another rough concept:
View attachment 104387
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

· Basically Stock
8,161 Posts
It's not a battery issue and it still happens. It's because the brake lights and brake pedal sensor circuit needs to send a specific resistance value back to the ECU. When using the aftermarket tail lights, they don't have the same resistance as stock, and it freaks out.

There's no software update from the dealer or anyone else that changes that, and in the last month I've still seen people getting the issue.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not a battery issue and it still happens. It's because the brake lights and brake pedal sensor circuit needs to send a specific resistance value back to the ECU. When using the aftermarket tail lights, they don't have the same resistance as stock, and it freaks out.

There's no software update from the dealer or anyone else that changes that, and in the last month I've still seen people getting the issue.
Hmm, makes sense. I'll keep that in mind.

· Basically Stock
8,161 Posts
I also feel there's a lot to be gained in bringing the roof right back to the trunk instead of ending it short. I also think an OEM spoiler would go well to tie it together (and it will also fix the dramatic rear end lift in the design). I also lowered it about 2.5", which isn't unreasonable on these geometry wise.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also feel there's a lot to be gained in bringing the roof right back to the trunk instead of ending it short. I also think an OEM spoiler would go well to tie it together (and it will also fix the dramatic rear end lift in the design). I also lowered it about 2.5", which isn't unreasonable on these geometry wise.

View attachment 104395
Wow that looks amazing. I was trying to figure out what was making it look off and that was it. Thank you for the feedback. I was planning on adding a spoiler. Didn't know if I wanted OEM or not but that looks really good. Concept is a WIP so I accept and greatly appreciate any input.

I think I was right, The plugs haven't been changed since 2007. Tons of unburnt oil and fuel got launched out of the exhaust. Old plugs and ignition coils were covered in oil. The plugs were very tight in there and squeaky. Messed up my hands taking off the intake manifold. Deep cut in my finger. Couldn't get pictures because ran into complications. Car is running much better now that it's a full 6 cyl again lol.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also if anyone is wondering, I may make all 3D printed parts either accessible so you can convert your eclipse (spyder) to a Skorpion, and/or I'll sell them.

Just got new touchscreen stereo. Has steering wheel controls. I needed a DWH612 to ISO converter for the input so I ordered that.

Forgot to mention that all the colored lights are brighter now that I have new spark plugs. Either it was that, or there was a loose connection that I corrected.

· Basically Stock
8,161 Posts
Oh damn. Huh. Thanks for the info. Idk if I'll have time to do that anytime soon but yeah. I'm assuming I should get the oil out of the plug chambers. Any tips on accomplishing this?
Stuff paper towel down on top of the plugs to absorb it, then pull the plugs, wipe the sounds down. A few drops of oil in the engine isn't going to ruin it. Then, change your spark plug tube seals as it'll get expensive and time consuming to not do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts