Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Discussion starter · #43 ·
i have no idea what he uses for gas..
93 pump is what i use...Another thing to consider here is that i have run out of ignition and couldn't go any further, i think i can make even more when i get the ignition all figured out. The stock cams are probably robbing me of atleast 40-70 whp, i really should upgrade the High Lift to something radical like 280's.

Yessir! I'm really glad your swap went well! And with awesome numbers from a hybrid '74 stroker/'75 head at that! How's it handle with the W6MG1? The gearing work fine with that much power? :)

Yeah I was going to have Scott proto a crank, but of course it was going to take forever. I was going to wait a couple of months till I'd have them start blueprinting and hopefully have some specs sent to some fabricator. Was going to cost in excess of $7k, but that wouldn't have been a prob if my contract in St. Louis hadn't been cut short.

Anyway, long story short, I've got a set of camshafts in Perth with Dave @ RPW, and I'm also on hold with Dennis, who was all ready to start some work on a spare set of heads he's got in house, to send to Ferrea. We were thinking of testing the waters with larger valve sizes too.

I hope things will be better for me in time for RPW's done with their fab work. I've also got some transmission parts waiting to be put on the work queue :D Lot to do, lot to do. For now I'm staying with the easy stuff --- the rice part :lol:

Great shots and dyno sheets btw man! :twothumb: Love your car!!!

Oh, and last correspondence with Dave they were focusing on 272 / 330* profiles. Decent but proven profiles that won't sacrifice comfort for power ;) Pays to be patient!

man, i just watched the vids on youtube and whats so cool is that my car already sounds like that and is headed in the same direction. items purchased:
74 block (from previous build)
75 crank
74 forged pistons (high comp from previous build but 94mm instead of 93mm)
RPW stage 2 cams (from previous build)
things to still waiting to get:
75 non-mivec heads (just want the heads for the port sizes and valves)
74/75 bearings
manifolds
downpipes
Evo III 16g's
32x12x3.5 intercooler
intercooler piping
injectors

i might end up going with a greddy emanage ultimate and an 01 ecu so i can flash it and tune with confidence. those were very nice numbers considering the lack of ignition support and stock cams. those heads plus the AE of those turbos is what made all that power. i cant wait to see it with more room (i.e. cams and more boost w/better ignition)

great job btw.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Hey Slipper, missed this...

were you working on a billet crank? If so that is awesome..I actually run the W5MG1 (5 speed), it is pretty good althoug thrid gear rips ass!!! Sorry to hear about your job, this economy is really crazy and makes fun builds tough..I really want a set of cams and 330 would be great fro my app, please keep us updated on the status. I am running +1 Intake/exhaust, were you thinking larger.

Yessir! I'm really glad your swap went well! And with awesome numbers from a hybrid '74 stroker/'75 head at that! How's it handle with the W6MG1? The gearing work fine with that much power? :)

Yeah I was going to have Scott proto a crank, but of course it was going to take forever. I was going to wait a couple of months till I'd have them start blueprinting and hopefully have some specs sent to some fabricator. Was going to cost in excess of $7k, but that wouldn't have been a prob if my contract in St. Louis hadn't been cut short.

Anyway, long story short, I've got a set of camshafts in Perth with Dave @ RPW, and I'm also on hold with Dennis, who was all ready to start some work on a spare set of heads he's got in house, to send to Ferrea. We were thinking of testing the waters with larger valve sizes too.

I hope things will be better for me in time for RPW's done with their fab work. I've also got some transmission parts waiting to be put on the work queue :D Lot to do, lot to do. For now I'm staying with the easy stuff --- the rice part :lol:

Great shots and dyno sheets btw man! :twothumb: Love your car!!!

Discussion starter · #49 ·
If i could i would sugest you go with twin PE5027's rather then e316g's. The e316g's are great turbos, but you will have a ton of displacement and they may be too restrictive (tubine side). Go with a T3 .63A/R and those thing will be like driving a normally asperated big block, instant on!

man, i just watched the vids on youtube and whats so cool is that my car already sounds like that and is headed in the same direction. items purchased:
74 block (from previous build)
75 crank
74 forged pistons (high comp from previous build but 94mm instead of 93mm)
RPW stage 2 cams (from previous build)
things to still waiting to get:
75 non-mivec heads (just want the heads for the port sizes and valves)
74/75 bearings
manifolds
downpipes
Evo III 16g's
32x12x3.5 intercooler
intercooler piping
injectors

i might end up going with a greddy emanage ultimate and an 01 ecu so i can flash it and tune with confidence. those were very nice numbers considering the lack of ignition support and stock cams. those heads plus the AE of those turbos is what made all that power. i cant wait to see it with more room (i.e. cams and more boost w/better ignition)

great job btw.

italo, thanks for the advice. i wonder how she will react on something like a pair of GT28rs'. a friend of mine has a 350zTT that has them and it spools like its got the titan 5.6L in it. not to mention the car is capable of 700whp from his setup. i only want 600whp so i think the disco potatoes wont be too bad of a choice. on a side note, man i cant wait until you guys figure out the ignition and turn the boost up. i know your setup will make over 1000whp when pushed. do you have any more pics of the setup other than the videos and the preliminary build pics?

Discussion starter · #51 ·
IMO the 5027's r a great choice, can't really speak to 28's. either way your ride is going to be bad ass!!!:bigthumb:

italo, thanks for the advice. i wonder how she will react on something like a pair of GT28rs'. a friend of mine has a 350zTT that has them and it spools like its got the titan 5.6L in it. not to mention the car is capable of 700whp from his setup. i only want 600whp so i think the disco potatoes wont be too bad of a choice. on a side note, man i cant wait until you guys figure out the ignition and turn the boost up. i know your setup will make over 1000whp when pushed. do you have any more pics of the setup other than the videos and the preliminary build pics?

IMO the 5027's r a great choice, can't really speak to 28's. either way your ride is going to be bad ass!!!:bigthumb:
thanks man, means something coming from you. you did it already just with different turbos. i do have some questions though. im wondering some things about the 74/75. i know all the dimensions on both heads and the strokes for both cranks and all the other little details but im still torn as to what im going to do before the boost. i dont want it to be a dog but i do want the solid 3.8. here's the thing, we both know the rods from both motors are the same length but have you see the stuctural differences between them? i love the 74 rods over the 75's personally, seem better for boost and abuse. but i still just need to get all this stuff in hand because being deployed right now sucks. i cant decide on whether i want to use this combo:
75 crank (new)
74 block
74 heads (shaved down .015 and ported)
74 stage 2 cams
custom headers
74 rods
74 pistons (cp's 11:1's)
will end up as a 3.75L making about 250-260whp
or this one:
75 block
75 crank (new)
74 rods
75 heads (shaved down .007)
75 pistons (stock, will come with the block)
74 stage 2 cams
custom headers
will be 3.8L making roughly 270whp at best maybe more (303whp got realized without intake manifold mods or cams both of which i have)

this will be my NA setup until i get the turbos and manifolds along with everything else for boost. i wouldnt mind going total 75 (option 2) but that would be a weaker choice for boost because of the pistons. the other choice would be better for long term NA and boost because of the pistons already being forged. thing is though, option 1 would possibly raise my CR because of the stroke and the small 74 combustion chambers. if i put the 75 heads on that setup it should lower it and i would have to shave the heads down in order to get more CR. i would like at least a 10:1 CR for response once boosted. i just have to plug in all the numbers when i get home to verify. sighs. decisions decisions.

Totally resurrecting this thread from the dead. But for those who are serious about engine builds, Scott Merkel is putting in for another batch of stroker cranks to be made. Don't be surprised about the price tag though - crank alone is $4k ($2k to buy in), not including any other engine work.

Deadline for the job to be put in is this Friday, May 25 2018.

Give Merkel a call if you want in. Feel free to tell him the guy with the other 4.2L built 6G75 that he built sent you. He'll know who I am. ;)

How can you say no to a perfectly square engine, and almost 4.2L of pure beast???! :D

I understand though - just kidding. This was more a public service announcement. Usually I keep quiet about these things, but I miss the old gearheads on this forum, and figured someone might benefit from it. Perhaps Carl or someone else still has his beast slumbering around the garage. It's lonely being the only one (to my knowledge) with a 6G75M stroker setup on a 4G.

Engine builds that get you past 1,000 awhp are not for the faint of heart indeed.

Right. And for the most part I agree. For most folks the 4G, or these engines in general, are old news. That's why - parts like these are RARE items that only the most serious enthusiast would at be good to at least consider. Because they are NOWHERE else to be found. It takes a lot of time and effort to prototype such a thing. These only happen in small, custom-built batches.

That's why I don't know of any other 4G owner who has it. Far as I know, I'm the only one.

To the technical - the comment that it's not beneficial, I will strongly disagree. Larger displacement, which means higher torque off the bat. And in terms of displacement, greater power potential.

Now, stock, N/A, or bolt on setups, agree with you - not needed. We do have forged cranks that are rated to some figure usually unsurpassed --- something like 700+hp.

But there are those who are open to pushing the limits beyond that.
These are the same folks who would have showcase builds - lifetime builds that no one else will have.

Not to mention a balanced engine. 4.2L V6 that's got equal bore and stroke. Imagine what a little turbocharging can do to that. Smoooth.

Anyway, that's all I'll say about that. Again, public service announcement. Have a great MemDay (and Indy500 weekend), everyone!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.