Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. New to the forums here! I've been thinking on getting a 4th gen recently and I was just wondering, what are the pros and cons on them. I always loved how they looked yet I've never actually driven one. Any info will help! Thank you in advance! ~nick

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Welcome, Nick!

I often refer to the eclipse as the "poor man's sports car". I for one am absolutely in love with my car, but even I know its not perfect. What car is, anyways? I have no experience with the GS, so all my opinions are based on the GT.

Our cars have, all things considered, great handling, great stock shocks, a reliable engine, and a fair amount of aftermarket support. Not to mention it looks cool as all hell and its insanely fun to drive. I'm glue'd to my seat by force when I smash that gas, and hearing that V6 roar makes me a almost wet myself every time, and at the same time it gets me to work and back every day. However, it seems as if Mitsubishi put most of their budget into engine and performance of the car, and the interior cabin came last. That being said, its garbage on the inside. Cheap rattly plastic with door handles that bust easily and a garbage "premium" sound system. The O2 sensor problem is a pain and the hyper-sensitive wiring loves throwing the SRS warning light when you mess with any electronics. Expect to have your dash lights lit up like a christmas tree with warning lights at all times. HOWEVER, the forum has a vast knowledge base of information for fixing pretty much any issue our cars have, both inside and out, and if we don't, were always here to help.

As with any car purchase, make sure to do your research. Our cars are FWD and weigh a ton (however, its balanced well). The turning radius is awful but thats to help with handling. Sometimes it feels like mitsu couldn't decide if they wanted to make a track car or a commute car. Should you buy an eclipse? In my opinion, hell yeah. Fast little sporty car that will last you a long time for a pretty cheap price tag. But if you get one, you need to maintain it properly. There are only so many of our cars left since production stopped, the numbers can only dwindle from here, and I don't want to see more go from misuse.

If you're looking for a cool looking car for getting from point A to point B on your daily commute, go for the GS. If you're wanting something with a little kick behind the engine at the cost of substantially more $$$ to maintain, go GT.

Please note these are just my own personal opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt. I would drive this car to my grave if I could but I recognize its not for everyone. Just make sure you get what you really want (refer to my signature!)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome, Nick!

I often refer to the eclipse as the "poor man's sports car". I for one am absolutely in love with my car, but even I know its not perfect. What car is, anyways? I have no experience with the GS, so all my opinions are based on the GT.

Our cars have, all things considered, great handling, great stock shocks, a reliable engine, and a fair amount of aftermarket support. Not to mention it looks cool as all hell and its insanely fun to drive. I'm glue'd to my seat by force when I smash that gas, and hearing that V6 roar makes me a almost wet myself every time, and at the same time it gets me to work and back every day. However, it seems as if Mitsubishi put most of their budget into engine and performance of the car, and the interior cabin came last. That being said, its garbage on the inside. Cheap rattly plastic with door handles that bust easily and a garbage "premium" sound system. The O2 sensor problem is a pain and the hyper-sensitive wiring loves throwing the SRS warning light when you mess with any electronics. Expect to have your dash lights lit up like a christmas tree with warning lights at all times. HOWEVER, the forum has a vast knowledge base of information for fixing pretty much any issue our cars have, both inside and out, and if we don't, were always here to help.

As with any car purchase, make sure to do your research. Our cars are FWD and weigh a ton (however, its balanced well). The turning radius is awful but thats to help with handling. Sometimes it feels like mitsu couldn't decide if they wanted to make a track car or a commute car. Should you buy an eclipse? In my opinion, hell yeah. Fast little sporty car that will last you a long time for a pretty cheap price tag. But if you get one, you need to maintain it properly. There are only so many of our cars left since production stopped, the numbers can only dwindle from here, and I don't want to see more go from misuse.

If you're looking for a cool looking car for getting from point A to point B on your daily commute, go for the GS. If you're wanting something with a little kick behind the engine at the cost of substantially more $$$ to maintain, go GT.

Please note these are just my own personal opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt. I would drive this car to my grave if I could but I recognize its not for everyone. Just make sure you get what you really want (refer to my signature!)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey Nick, follow James advise, go for a test drive, if you like it, get a 2009+ GT, I got mine brand new back in April 2009 (89 MONTHS DRIVEN) and I never ever got any issue whatsoever with my baby, maintenance is the key, "dash lights lit up" NO SIR, not even once except when I turn the key to start the engine, below a list of the features in my baby:
Year Model 2009 ECLIPSE SPYDER GT-P 3.8L SOHC V6 W/MPI FUEL INJECT MIVEC
2-DOOR CONVERTIBLE "SPORTRONIC"TM 5-SPD AUTO O/D TRANS
Color SOLAR DARK CHARCOAL LEATHER
SAFETY FEATURES
-ADVANCED DUAL STAGE FRONT AIR BAGS
-3-POINT SAFETY BELTS, FRONT & REAR
-DUAL SEAT MOUNTED SIDE AIR BAGS
-SIDE IMPACT DOOR BEAMS
-LOWER CHILD RESTRAINT
-ENGINE IMMOBILIZER
-TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM
-ACTIVE STABILITY CONTROL
-ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM
-DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS
PERFORMANCE/HANDLING
-ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM
-POWER ASSISTED 4-WHEEL DISC BRAKES
-PWR ASSISTED RACK/PINION STEERING
-4-WHEEL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION
-FRONT STRUT TOWER BAR
-FRONT & REAR STABILIZER BARS
-TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM
COMFORT/CONVENIENCE
-AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
-PWR CLOTH TOP W/GLASS REAR WINDOW
-POWER TONNEAU COVER
-POWER WINDOWS W/DRIVER SIDE AUTO
DOWN & 30 SECOND POWER RESERVE
-CRUISE CONTROL
-POWER DOOR LOCKS
-ROCKFORD FOSGATE AUDIO SYTEM
650 WATT (MAX.) AM/FM/6-DISC/MP3
W/ 9 SPEAKERS INC. 8" SUBWOOFER
-SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO WITH 6
MONTHS COMPLIMENTARY SERVICE
-STEERING WHEEL AUDIO CONTROLS
-HIGH-CENTER CLOCK & AUDIO SYSTEM
DISPLAY W/ COMPASS & OUTSIDE TEMP
-WHIP ANTENNA
-ICE BLUE LED ILLUMINATION
-MAP LIGHTS
-6-WAY POWER DRIVER SEAT W/ LUMBAR
-LEATHER FRONT SEATING SURFACES
-HEATED FRONT SEATS
-2-SPEED INTERMITTENT FRONT WIPERS
-KEYLESS ENTRY W/TRUNK RELEASE
-HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE STEERING COLUMN
-ILLUMINATED VISOR VANITY MIRRORS
-12V ACCESSORY OUTLET
-FRONT FLOOR MATS
-ALUMINUM PEDALS
EXTERIOR FEATURES
-18" SWORD SILVER ALLOY WHEELS
-235/45 R18 ALL-SEASON TIRES
-TWO-TONE COLOR KEYED BUMPERS
-HEATED POWER SIDEVIEW MIRRORS
-INTEGRATED REAR SPOILER
-HID PROJECTOR-TYPE HEADLAMPS
-CLEAR LED TAIL LAMPS
-FOG LIGHTS
-DUAL EXHAUST

Good luck Dude!

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,395 Posts
Alright, I'll say what bad I've had with mine.

The stock bushings seized, the sway bar links were seized and had to be cut apart, a lot of the stuff had locktite holding it together, and a lot of the fasteners become prone to snapping if you don't heat the piss out of them.

My throwout bearing has no grease on it, and some forum digging showed other people had that issue too.

If you do buy one, see that the timing belt was done. 2009+ ones need to be done in 2017+ respectively, or at 90k miles. 06 07 08 are all overdue. If it's overdue, use that in bartering and get it done ASAP

They really are a good car. Mine's just been through the Canada treatment

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for all the advice everyone! Ideally I'd love to get a gt spyder, I love how they look when on air suspension. Are the engines typically easy to modify and maintain yourself? I've been a Nissan junky for quite awhile now but lately I've fallen in love with the 4th gen spyders. Sorry in advance for the typical newbie questions!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome, Nick!

I can not wait till I have enough money to trade my GS for a GT, getting a GS was such a big mistake :crunk:

Still love my 4G tho :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I can not wait till I have enough money to trade my GS for a GT, getting a GS was such a big mistake :crunk:

Still love my 4G tho :biggrin:
I wouldn't mind a GS to be my daily driver. I love my GT but I want to preserve it! Although, twice the cars means twice the repairs :)

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,395 Posts
if you could get me a 2006 civic si with a turbo above 263hp for only $4500... lemme know :wiggle:
Their advantage is that they're lighter and have a LSD instead of open dif

Something nice though... Bolt on GS beats a supercharged cobalt SS on a quarter mile! (barely, but still counted)

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2007 GT
6,395 Posts
Haha maybe a cheap ebay turbo that's gonna wreck your engine within a year.. And that's a big maybe even getting that under 4500

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Don't worry. This cheap turbo won't ruin your engine!

Turbo Kit Mini Electric turbocharger supercharger Kit Air Filter Intake for All | eBay

I just suggest you put a filter AFTER your new amazing super awesome not a toy turbo

While you're at it, put on a carbon fiber spoiler for all the downforce to handle the power gains

Universal Car Truck 17cm Mini Unique Decorative Carbon Fiber Rear Wing Spoiler | eBay

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
While you're at it, put on a carbon fiber spoiler for all the downforce to handle the power gains
Hey now, my front wheel drive NA GT requires a lot of downforce. That's OBVIOUSLY why I put a wing on it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts