Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I love you guys lmao

To be fair, having a wing is most beneficial on a FWD car than RWD or AWD, since you pretty much have nothing weighing you down in the back :)

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I love you guys lmao

To be fair, having a wing is most beneficial on a FWD car than RWD or AWD, since you pretty much have nothing weighing you down in the back :)
In a rear wheel drive car, where your engine is in the front, at high speeds, there would be a need for downforce to keep the tires in contact with the pavement. In a FWD car, you would need downforce, basically only when you're taking a corner... at like 120 MPH. Honestly, I feel as if "downforce" is just an excuse to put something you like on your car. Any street car with a wing isn't going to reach a speed that requires EXTRA downforce. I have yet to find someone who says, "Damn dude, I really hate to do it because I think this giant wing is ugly, but I really just need the downforce." Most people are like, "Oh yeah, that thing thats taller than my car? It's totally practical, I promise." Me, on the other hand, I say "I like it. And it was $40 so blow me."

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
In a rear wheel drive car, where your engine is in the front, at high speeds, there would be a need for downforce to keep the tires in contact with the pavement. In a FWD car, you would need downforce, basically only when you're taking a corner... at like 120 MPH. Honestly, I feel as if "downforce" is just an excuse to put something you like on your car. Any street car with a wing isn't going to reach a speed that requires EXTRA downforce. I have yet to find someone who says, "Damn dude, I really hate to do it because I think this giant wing is ugly, but I really just need the downforce." Most people are like, "Oh yeah, that thing thats taller than my car? It's totally practical, I promise." Me, on the other hand, I say "I like it. And it was $40 so blow me."
At least we wont have the snap oversteer problem :bigthumb:

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,297 Posts
So many wings aren't wings at all, but are just spoilers. A spoiler disrupts the air flow off the back of the car allowing for a smaller low pressure bubble trailing the car, thus less drag. Less drag = more go fast! Wings create drag but in turn push your ass into the ground

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have a 2006 gt, great cars, very very fast. first car i was able to hit 150mph, the only problem i have had with this car is the catalytic converter and i took it off for like $30 lol.
apart from the premium gas, and the maintenance i haven't spent another dime on because of problems. keep in mind its a 2006 gt with over 150,000 miles on it.

they are reliable and even at stock they are amazing.
i dont know much about the gs, in my opinion go for the gt, if you have a good driving record and can afford the insurance :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
besides insurance and gas what is the difference in how much you pay to upkeep the car?

Welcome, Nick!

I often refer to the eclipse as the "poor man's sports car". I for one am absolutely in love with my car, but even I know its not perfect. What car is, anyways? I have no experience with the GS, so all my opinions are based on the GT.

Our cars have, all things considered, great handling, great stock shocks, a reliable engine, and a fair amount of aftermarket support. Not to mention it looks cool as all hell and its insanely fun to drive. I'm glue'd to my seat by force when I smash that gas, and hearing that V6 roar makes me a almost wet myself every time, and at the same time it gets me to work and back every day. However, it seems as if Mitsubishi put most of their budget into engine and performance of the car, and the interior cabin came last. That being said, its garbage on the inside. Cheap rattly plastic with door handles that bust easily and a garbage "premium" sound system. The O2 sensor problem is a pain and the hyper-sensitive wiring loves throwing the SRS warning light when you mess with any electronics. Expect to have your dash lights lit up like a christmas tree with warning lights at all times. HOWEVER, the forum has a vast knowledge base of information for fixing pretty much any issue our cars have, both inside and out, and if we don't, were always here to help.

As with any car purchase, make sure to do your research. Our cars are FWD and weigh a ton (however, its balanced well). The turning radius is awful but thats to help with handling. Sometimes it feels like mitsu couldn't decide if they wanted to make a track car or a commute car. Should you buy an eclipse? In my opinion, hell yeah. Fast little sporty car that will last you a long time for a pretty cheap price tag. But if you get one, you need to maintain it properly. There are only so many of our cars left since production stopped, the numbers can only dwindle from here, and I don't want to see more go from misuse.

If you're looking for a cool looking car for getting from point A to point B on your daily commute, go for the GS. If you're wanting something with a little kick behind the engine at the cost of substantially more $$$ to maintain, go GT.

Please note these are just my own personal opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt. I would drive this car to my grave if I could but I recognize its not for everyone. Just make sure you get what you really want (refer to my signature!)

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
What Diego said. For example, I recently purchased a new timing belt. It cost about $108 (cheapest I could find it) whereas one for the GS was only about $55. You also pretty much want to use exclusively synthetic oil, and top-of-the-line fluids for just about everything else. Remember, its a sports compact, not a sedan.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Universal parts like pieces of the cabin are going to be the same, of course, but pretty much anything having to do with the engine and any mechanical aspects of the car will have different costs. The I4 also gets way better gas mileage than the V6, as well as not having to use premium only.

·
Registered
749 Posts
^this. The only main difference between a gs and a gt is the motor and the transmission other than that the body is exactly the same. Same breaks same body same interior basically.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Even though it doesn't make sense, the rear brakes on the GT are slightly larger.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Typical new member thread starter. They start their very first thread and then boom, disappear lol.
At any rate, this thread will serve as a good archive for anyone else with the same question in the future :biggrin:

As an added footnote, the ralco GS short shifter DOES work with the GT, plus its cheaper and shorter than the GT version since it has no reverse lockout. Just dont shift into reverse when trying to go into 1st :)

If I were a mod, I'd sticky it...

·
Registered
749 Posts
At any rate, this thread will serve as a good archive for anyone else with the same question in the future :biggrin:

As an added footnote, the ralco GS short shifter DOES work with the GT, plus its cheaper and shorter than the GT version since it has no reverse lockout. Just dont shift into reverse when trying to go into 1st :)

You say that now but just wait when the next wave of possible new owners show up there will be more of these types of threads.:facepalm:

·
Registered
280 Posts

Correct, the GS shifter is the way to go. This has been around for a long time. But i do agree that maybe it should be a sticky for newbies.

Very good links below, how to make one from scratch and how to modify your stock plastic lockout.

http://club4g.org/board/4g-eclipse-gt-se-specific/9603-continuing-lockout-redesign.html

http://club4g.org/board/4g-eclipse-gt-se-specific/9535-how-keep-your-reverse-lockout.html#post214848

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 07 GS has 130k miles on it (bought it in 2014 with 70k miles) and I've had no major issues. The plastic interior creaks here and there as the temperatures change and the door handles rip off easily. Especially when you take your car in for a recall and the mechanics are door slamming animals. Yes a mechanic at my local Mitsubishi dealer knocked one of my handles loose but that's besides the point. The GS, in my experience, is loads more reliable than people, other than owners, will say. People who are fans of American brands typically state that Chevy and Ford are more reliable but not in this case. If you're faced with the choice I think I would grab the GT though. In the GS I typically get 30mpg and 32 if I have a good week. But having the air conditioning running with the I4 engine really sucks the power out of it. I honestly feel like the A/C sucks 20hp out when I have it running and I feel the engine working harder to get up to the speed limit from a complete stop.
-Honestly though that's all I have to complain about. I love my car, the way it handles, accelerates and looks. As sad as it sounds I miss my car when I haven't driven it in like 12 hours haha.
-More of a brand thing than 4g related but my dad got 250k miles out of his 91 eclipse before the new York rust got to it and it became dangerous to drive.
-Also if you get one I do not recommend aftermarket halo headlights, dim, cheap, bulbs blow out left and right and my adjuster broke in my left lens so my lights are all over the place.

I hope we can get you onboard. It's a great car with a great fan base and website.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts