Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,297 Posts
@Andrew
I have the aftermarket projectors and have no issues. I run 55w HIDs in them. No aim issues. The halo LEDs are dim, but the ones up top are bright and strong. Don't replace them with the 10 cent ones due to the pain in the ass factor. Use a decent LED. If you are burning them out, I'd be checking the voltage getting sent to them

Also, if you open up your intake and exhaust, you'd be amazed with the fuel economy. I can grandpa drive 43mpg, or more reasonably I do about 35; usually that involves an overtake or two (very slow drivers on my daily commute)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The GT is a great bang for the buck, you get a lot of motor for little money. I paid $6100 CAD for my '07 manual w/105k kilometers. Compare that with a Cobalt SS turbo. Near identical power output, and the Mitsu still manages to undercut the "rental fodder" 'Balt on price. Granted you don't get the goodies like LSD, Brembo brakes, launch control, NLTS, etc, but still. You're getting a deal and a half with the GT.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
My biggest qualm with our car over something like a cobalt is the extreme lack of turbo/supercharger support. Sure it can be done but its going to cost about as much, if not more than the price of the car, if you can even find a turbo/supercharger to work.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That's not necessarily a bad thing imo. No boost = no problems. A fully bolted GT can run with a tuned SS/TC any day. Most you'll get on a K04 turbo is 350whp before you blow it.

Plus, if you do so choose to boost it, you have nearly double the displacement, which means more potential than a little 2 liter.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My 09 GT is a beast off the factory floor. I haven't done any mods but lower it with Eibachs Pro kit and haven't been more ecstatic!

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Crazy friggin thread revival, I know lol. But I just wanted to say that reading through this thread just finalized my decision. I’ve been in a dilemma between my 06 Mazda3 2.3L vs my 08 Eclipse GS. The MZ3 is hella quick on corners and it has tons more aftermarket support than our 4G. My first car before I bought these two was a 2004 Ralliart that has the same 2.4L 4G69. I loved that car and it lasted me a very long time. Sadly it died @ 320k km which is a lot for an engine that hasn’t been rebuilt at all. I’ve done all the maintenance myself and I’ve taken the car and engine apart many times. The 4G is basically my Ralliart reborn into a coupe. All I can say is...#Mitsu4Life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
No these cars can easily be beaten by a 2006 and newer civic SI with a aftermarket turbo kit for about the same price as a eclipse GT.
Can a stock GT be beaten by a turbo civic? most likely.

But a STOCK civic si alone usually cost maybe 1-5 grand more for the 2006+ si models for the price you can get a eclipse in my area. Heck even a 95-2001 si cost almost the same if not a little more than my GT too, including the old non-vtec hatchbacks.

People are even selling the 3Gs for like a grand sometimes even less and thats about on par with a 2006 si

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,297 Posts
Can a stock GT be beaten by a turbo civic? most likely.

But a STOCK civic si alone usually cost maybe 1-5 grand more for the 2006+ si models for the price you can get a eclipse in my area. Heck even a 95-2001 si cost almost the same if not a little more than my GT too, including the old non-vtec hatchbacks.

People are even selling the 3Gs for like a grand sometimes even less and thats about on par with a 2006 si
You can always turbo a GT as well, and make way more power than a civic SI ever would without building the engine. So if you're gonna go modded vs modded, keep the mods the same and watch what happens. All it takes is for someone to actually do it

·
Super Moderator
341 Posts
I've been wanting to get an Eclipse ever since I had a friend back in high school that has a 3g around 2008. I wanted a 3g, but even my girlfriend said she liked the look of the 4g better, so I ended up looking around for a 4g. My parents badgered me about buying a Honda because they're cheap to repair and easy to find parts. I knew Eclipses are very similar for the repair cost and repair-ability from working on my buddies years ago so I pulled the trigger.

Ended up going to a dealer to check out some cars and picked up a 4g GS Convert today. Haven't had a car in 3 months and always wanted an Eclipse so I grabbed it up to get my parents off their back about wanting their Toyota Corolla back.

·
Registered
403 Posts
After 10 years of owning a 4g gs never drove a v6 model, never had a problem except at 260k miles the trans messed up due to breaking the mounts after my girl hit a ditch. These cars are great for the long term. My new car is a v6 accord coupe. Basically feels like a modern eclipse, handles about the same except alil tighter in turns, I’m confident in turning around turns the 4g would body roll at 50plus the Honda doesn’t until about 70plus (yea I’m wreckless at times) who isn’t. it really reminds me of the eclipse in most ways except more updated interior with back up camera ect sport mode, eco mode all except the body but even then it’s very similar side view to a bmw, only thing a bmw has on either the eclipse or Honda is the rwd, we actually have a turbo v6 bmw aswell, so I’ve driven them all to compare, you can’t go wrong with a eclipse or a Honda I’m just being honest here.

·
Future 4G Owner
4 Posts
2012 Mitsubishi Eclipse SE

2012 Mitsubishi Eclipse SE is my dream car for now, it looks cool, it sounds cool, I've seen so many reviews that I can create one by myself lol
Really hope to get that car someday, especially if it's white...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alright, I'll say what bad I've had with mine.

The stock bushings seized, the sway bar links were seized and had to be cut apart, a lot of the stuff had locktite holding it together, and a lot of the fasteners become prone to snapping if you don't heat the piss out of them.

My throwout bearing has no grease on it, and some forum digging showed other people had that issue too.

If you do buy one, see that the timing belt was done. 2009+ ones need to be done in 2017+ respectively, or at 90k miles. 06 07 08 are all overdue. If it's overdue, use that in bartering and get it done ASAP

They really are a good car. Mine's just been through the Canada treatment
so I bet the New England Treatment would be very similar to the Canada Treatment I assume

41 - 60 of 63 Posts