Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: Do NOT do this mod. My Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor blew and my car went into limp mode at extremely high temps. and would not start. I almost had to have it towed but luckily there was an auto store nearby where I was able to plant the car under a tree. I had to pay $170 for a scanner to see what's up and throw more coolant into the radiator to get it home 4 miles with the temp gauge shooting up and down to H (HOT). I'm so pissed off at myself for thinking that an idiotic mod such as this might help the performance of the car when in fact, it could have caused damage to my engine.I actually heard a loud knocking sound. These cars are full of sensors and Mitsubishi engineers know how to build these cars to not be tampered with. Now I get to spend time and money on replacing the sensor which has about 10 wires connected to it. I guess I should consider myself lucky that nothing worse happened.,, Anyone with similar experience in replacing this sensor PLEASE chime in and let me know how easy or difficult this is going to be. Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What does your coolant sensor blowing off have to do with a simple bypass? Car got hot for other reason I've had this mod on my 2012 galant for idk like 5 months thats when I rebuilt the whole head cuz timing belt snapped and did the tb bypass and gutted the cats and so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
You prob heard that loud knocking sound due to extreme temperature inside the engine ... you've had that mod or not if your car would have heated up so bad would've done same thing to protect the vehicle from damage not just cuz you bypass a small distance of water thru a tube is gonna heat up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think before we start talking how expensive/difficult this is going to be, the discussion should first be to figure out what actually happened and what the damages are. I've the bypass mod and haven't had any problems at all - it's plausible that the hose wasn't recirculated properly and you dumped all your coolant through that hose. Or it could be as simple as the engine not actually being super hot and it just being a blown temperature sensor.

So I think that's gotta be the first thing to tackle: was the engine hot, is there damage to the engine from that? What caused it in the first place? The temperature sensor is the easy fix, the real pain would be if say, your engine was hot and the heads warped, for example.

·
Dank Meme Extraordinaire
366 Posts
I think nearly everyone on this site has the TB Bypass on their car and I really doubt that was the problem, unless you fucked up somehow lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think before we start talking how expensive/difficult this is going to be, the discussion should first be to figure out what actually happened and what the damages are. I've the bypass mod and haven't had any problems at all - it's plausible that the hose wasn't recirculated properly and you dumped all your coolant through that hose. Or it could be as simple as the engine not actually being super hot and it just being a blown temperature sensor.

So I think that's gotta be the first thing to tackle: was the engine hot, is there damage to the engine from that? What caused it in the first place? The temperature sensor is the easy fix, the real pain would be if say, your engine was hot and the heads warped, for example.

That is a PiTa Fr

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've also had this bypass on for a while. About 8 months now. I haven't had a single issue. The coupler I used is actually a bit bigger than than the diameter of the inlet/outlet on the throttle body, so I don't see why that would affect flow. Granted, I have a 2006 GS, but I can't think of any reason why it would cause an issue on other models, as the throttle body is for the most part the same.

·
Basically Stock
2009 GS Turbo. 2006+2007 GT
6,281 Posts
Did your coolant line blow open or something? I only lost maybe 5mL of coolant when I did it. 2 years ago. Without a single issue.

Or, this could be a case of "my tire pressure is low so my left headlight bulb burned out". Wrongful association of problems to changes doesn't accomplish much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts