Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw the DIY thread of how to bypass the throttle body, what exactly will this do for your car? Better throttle response? HP? Torque? Any help is much appreciated :)

·
"Uncle" Clayton
6,504 Posts
Lowers intake temps in theory improve all of the above. Increases are tiny but its a .35 part so why not. Unless it freezes where you live

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lowers intake temps in theory improve all of the above. Increases are tiny but its a .35 part so why not. Unless it freezes where you live
I live in Washington state, where it freezes for a few days in the winter, but my car is in the garage, should I be fine?

·
"Uncle" Clayton
6,504 Posts
The issue with the freezing is if there is moister in the TB and it freezes shut the car won't start. Where as running coolant thru is will keep it from freezing. I think horseeater lives in that climant and I think he has the bypass

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
its a 5 min job just bypass in the warm weather and hook your coolant linrs back up in the winter, it just makes it hard to start and if its really cold your throttle plate might stick

·
Not Your Friendo
1,458 Posts
Also, the theory behind this isnt really making more hp/tq but more of retaining it by not losing any hp/tq when the throttle body heats up.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys, another question, in the DIY thread, you take off the TB, bypass the coolant lines, and then put the TB back on? Is that correct? I was having trouble understanding it.

·
"Uncle" Clayton
6,504 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, another question, in the DIY thread, you take off the TB, bypass the coolant lines, and then put the TB back on? Is that correct? I was having trouble understanding it.
I thought I made it clear but just in case, you don't actually have to remove it but I chose to just to free up some room to work cause I have big hands. If you have hobbit hands by all means leave it on.

·
Step Up or Step Aside
1,280 Posts
^ Chaos your "How To" was very helpful and even though I don't have hobbit hands I was able to perform the mod without removing the throttle body. However, by you removing the throttle body you were able to take some very good pictures that by themselves were very informative. Props dude.

OrangeCrush, I live in central Indiana and I did the mod about a week ago and since then the car has seen 33-35 degree temps and all is well so far. But to the point that Chaos made earlier, it's such a quick and easy mod that it can be reversed in minutes if issues arise. Just for the sake of my own information I'm going to leave the mod in place until I have issues (if I even do) just to know where the temperature/issue point occurs.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Chaos your "How To" was very helpful and even though I don't have hobbit hands I was able to perform the mod without removing the throttle body. However, by you removing the throttle body you were able to take some very good pictures that by themselves were very informative. Props dude.

OrangeCrush, I live in central Indiana and I did the mod about a week ago and since then the car has seen 33-35 degree temps and all is well so far. But to the point that Chaos made earlier, it's such a quick and easy mod that it can be reversed in minutes if issues arise. Just for the sake of my own information I'm going to leave the mod in place until I have issues (if I even do) just to know where the temperature/issue point occurs.
have you noticed any difference in throttle response, hp, torque, or sustained power?

·
a=dv/dt
5,606 Posts
yo chaos, PMd you. i see 5/16 is the hose id but whats the thread on the coupler, 1/4? home depot labels them by thread not hose ID.

·
Registered
519 Posts
the gains would be very little. you wont feel the diff. but your car will like the cooler air going into it.

·
Step Up or Step Aside
1,280 Posts
Granted it may be the placebo effect, but it does seem a bit more responsive in the lower RPM range. With that said, Tech_Geek posted a link to this dyno in the TB bypass kit thread.

FYI, I decided to close off the inlet and outlet to the throttle body for the sake of appearance and to provide support for the two hoses that I just looped together. I looped the hoses attached to the block through the loop created by closing off the TB inlet/outlet to minimize unnecessary movement. All in all I was out $10 (barbed hose coupler, two hose clamps and 6" of 3/8" hose from ACE hardware) and 10 minutes of my time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
to me thats high gain. but i cant say cause iv done all that i can to my engine and im only at 154HP

·
a=dv/dt
5,606 Posts
disregard my question. searched 5/16 barb hose splicer instead of coupler and found the it

·
"Uncle" Clayton
6,504 Posts
Allright just saw that pm and responded just disreguard that

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
If the throttles frozen before starting the cold coolant isn't going to do anything...it's not even going to flow if the car isn't already started...that theory doesn't make too much sense...

·
"Uncle" Clayton
6,504 Posts
If the throttles frozen before starting the cold coolant isn't going to do anything...it's not even going to flow if the car isn't already started...that theory doesn't make too much sense...
I believe it keeps the coolant around the butterfly to keep it from getting too cold and allowing it to freeze. When cold I think it acts more as
an insluator.

·
"Uncle" Clayton
6,504 Posts
Yes but its also called antifreeze for a reason its good to subzero temps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts